account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

White dots on screen

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

White dots on screen

I can occasionally see some white dots on the screen. Tried to take a photo of it but they are not easily visible. So the camera cannot cpature it.

I noticed this issue by chance and I assume that it is not a software issue as I changed the wallpaper and the dots are still there.

The white dots are not always there. Sometimes they pop up when the screen brightness is very high.

Anyone else having this issue?

11 REPLIES 11
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: White dots on screen

Hi @kenny-tetsuya,

I'm sorry to hear this. Slightly frowning Face

I recommend that you test your display in the the diagnostics tool in your device. You can do so if you go to: Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Display.

Do the white dots show up in this test every time you try to test?

Let me know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

@Emil wrote:

Hi @kenny-tetsuya,

I recommend that you test your display in the the diagnostics tool in your device. You can do so if you go to: Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test > Display.

Do the white dots show up in this test every time you try to test?

Let me know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

I tried the diagnostics. Seems like the dots are not visible as it provides only black and white colours for testing. But I can still see the white dots when I jump out the diagnostics. They tend to be more visible in non-black and white colours.

How reliable is the diagnostics though? If the diagnostics is right, then it should be a software isssue?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for getting back to me.

If the dots where due to pixel errors they should have been visible when the screen turns black in the diagnostics test.

I recommend that you reboot your device to safe mode to see if this behavior is caused by one of your downloaded apps as these will be temporarily disabled in this mode.

If you are still experiencing the same behavior I recommend that you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

Keep me posted how it goes.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

@Emil wrote:

I recommend that you reboot your device to safe mode to see if this behavior is caused by one of your downloaded apps as these will be temporarily disabled in this mode.

I just tested in under the safe mode. The dots are still visible....It can be a physical fault of the screen?

But I bought this phone from a reliable eBay store as XZ1 is not released here in Australia, which means I cannot get a free repair from Sony Australia?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Did you have a chance to try a software repair using Xperia Companion aswell?

For any warranty related questions you should get in contact with your Local support team. This is a international community and your local support team is better equipped to assist  you with questions regarding warranty.

Rookie
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

I have white dots on my screen, i say dots they are more spots, not a true pixel i wouldnt say. 

If i do the screen test i notice them most on the white screen. 

Not too happy about having to send this off though as i always go over a week without a phone! 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Hi @Alexdc12,

Have you tried the other troubleshooting suggested in this thread as well? safe mode and performing a software repair using Xperia Companion?

Rookie
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

No i havent tried SAFE mode as it displays in teh screen test screen. 

I refuse to do a software reset as cant see its software related, i have already had to do software resets within weeks of owning the phone for another problem! 

Its like buying a car and taking it back to the garage and they say rebuild the engine before you bring it back! 

Learner
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Do you mean something like that?
If it's the same...then it's "normal" :-P
You can see the Matrix from the Display ^^ only on Sonydevices.

Xperia XZ1.1.jpg