account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Transfer Wifi passwords from unrooted Z5 to XZ1

Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Transfer Wifi passwords from unrooted Z5 to XZ1

How can I transfer the Wifi passwords from unrooted Z5 to XZ1?

Xperia Backup&Restore restore does not offer Wifi settings on the XZ1, though backup on the Z5 does.

Automatic synchronizing  with Google account does not do it neither.

Any solution?

5 REPLIES 5
One time poster
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Transfer Wifi passwords from Z3 to XZ1

There is no simple solution,i think.

You can try a "root browser" app. It's a file manager,but it works only with root rights. Go to "data", then "misc" folder. There is a "wpa_supplicant.conf" Your stored passwords are there.

Pioneer
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Re: Transfer Wifi passwords from unrooted Z5 to XZ1

Hi @Sonator;

You can do it with Xperia Transfer, that is what I used to transfer the settings from my Z5 to a XZ Premium (same software).

And as far as I know Google Backup also stores the Wifi settings (in Phone Settings backup).

Learner
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

I have done the transfer (only wifi selected) and it pretends to transfer it, even with "progress bar". But in the end I have only the two saved networks (one per-installed Telekom and the one I installed to do the transfer) I had before the transfer. Slightly frowning Face

And I also have Google Backup switched to On on the Z5, but I don't see any possibility to manually restore on the XZ1. And automatically it does not do it neither.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

I have tried to tranfer vice versa (XZ1 -> Z5) and here the Wifi settings are grayed out on the receiving Z5. 

It is possible that the XZ1 is not able to transfer those in any direction?

Bug?

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

I had the same issue with wi-fi passwords from my Z3 to XZ1. I didn't find solution about that (except that i extracted the passwords with root).

I'm thinking that this is android 8 BUG. Probably you didn't enter with your account on first boot of the the device - as I did.

With Android 8.1 could activate the first boot wizard again later and then -  should work.

Most probably  need to reset to factory to get everything properly done with entering the account from the first time on.