account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Touchscreen issues on new XZ1

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Touchscreen issues on new XZ1

I have issues with my new XZ1 and its touchscreen:

On several apps, the touchscreen stops reacting for several seconds or acts very delayed. The 3 push-buttons on the bottom don't appear or don't react when pressing on them for several seconds.

The most annoying delays/stops are happening with "Album" app, "Quickpic" app, and "Camera" app that can take up to 10 seconds. Also with Firefox it is at times blocking (e.g. the scrolling when going through the newsfeed on the web-based Facebook page - I do not use any Facebook app. The "up" scrolling stops and after 1-2 seconds I can scroll up and down again), same for "system settings". Well, I don't use a lot of apps...

I got yesterday the latest patch 47.1.A.12.75, which didn't fix the issue.

What I've done so far:

* yes, the protection foil is long gone since day 1

* I've tried the Touchscreen selftest and I can easily make clear the dog without disturbance

* I've set a full application reset, didn't help

* glove mode is turned OFF

* magnification is turned OFF

My questions:

* how to enter safe mode and check with Camera and QuickPic?  these two annoy me most...

* any other hint besides the "full system reset" (factory setup)

* last bullet is "full reset" and then install only few apps that I am using all the time and see if this has the problem already.

Sorry, my Android is running in German, and I don't know the exact translations that might be shown in the English version.

10 REPLIES 10
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Touchscreen issues on new XZ1

Hi @Peterott, welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear about this issue Slightly frowning Face

You're on the exact right track for troubleshooting. Please check your phone in safe mode next. You will not be able to use QuickPic while in safe mode, but you can check your default applications such as Album and Camera.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/td-p/348008/jump-to/first-un...

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Hello @CameronT, will try during the weekend, thank you.

If safe start doesn't help I'll go through the factory default setup path (and try to stop google playstore downloads as soon as I can and only download a minimum of needed apps. Actually, I have 86 apps installed according my phone, and I want to see if one is blocking the others during operation with the touchscreen issue). I will report after the weekend.

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Safe start didn't help.

I've started the camera app and changed constantly in camera-mode the zoom with my fingers on the touchscreen, and every now and then there was no reaction anymore for seconds in the changes of the zoom (or the 3 buttons on the bottom).

=> So the weekend will see a full factory reset.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

If you do the factory reset I recommend you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion. It's a bit more extreme as it re-installs Android on your device. 

Make sure you backup using Xperia Companion first as it does erase all your data.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

Ok, thanks for the hint with the Companion @CameronT. Will do accordingly.

One sidenote: I've seen now one occasion, where I pressed the power button to awake the phone from sleep and then I wanted to enter my 4-digit code for the locked screen:

* the colours of the screen went from black to colours but stopped before reaching the full brightness

* couldn't enter my 4-digit code as the touchscreen was not usable for several seconds

* did a quick "double-tip" on the power button (first one sets the phone back to sleep and black screen while the second immediately awakes it again) and the screen went to full brightness and I could unlock my screen with the 4 digits on the touchscreen.

For me it seems like some background process or whatever is consuming at certain times or intervalls an awful lot of ressources (though, a video keeps playing - maybe cached? - the touchscreen just doesn't react) and blocks system stuff, and at least the touchscreen blocking is visible of me.

So, yes, full repair with companion and full re-init Slightly frowning Face

And then let's see Slightly smiling Face

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

Let us know how you get on Slightly smiling Face

Inhabitant
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

Ok, first good news:

(I didn't do the Sony Companion full blown re-install, as the tool failed 3 times to install on my PC - as administrator or without administator rights - the installation didn't do anything and the install window stopped after 5min with an error message. While waiting then during the full factory reset I tried a fourth time and then the tool installed on my PC)

So when doing the factory reset, I only installed "Quick Pic" and then stopped all other updates. The touchscreen was working fine Slightly smiling Face

Installed then the needed updates for the phone, and the thing was still working, though one time I recognised a hang when scrolling through a menu - means the touchscreen didn't react on one finger move.

Now I've installed a minimum of apps that I am using and every now and then the touchscreen hangs. But this is in the range of a minute or something. And it takes just a second until it reacts again.

However: in "Camera" and "Quick Pic" I haven't noted it, except one occasion when browsing through the list of videos in "Quick Pic" when there was a small hang, and then the touchscreen continued to work.

So the result is:

=> Got better, but issue of a delay/stopping of reacion of the touchscreen is still there, though it doesn't appear anymore every few seconds now.

I will see if I get used to it, if it is tolerable, and if it gets worse when adding more apps to the phone.

If it starts getting worse, I'll also do the Sony Companion full blown reset.

Inhabitant
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Issue is back in full glory in the meantime Slightly frowning Face

This Weekend = full Android re-installation with Sony Companion as my last bullet.

Inhabitant
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Yes, this weekend saw a full repair with the Sony Companion. On the same day the issue was nearly gone, however, I already recognised some few hits on the touchscreen that were not recognised. I stopped all updates of or downloads from the google Playstore, except the ones you are forced to get. And within one day, the issue is again here.

May I ask: Shall I contact the German Xperia Care contact phonenumber that I got together with the XZ1 before taking the phone back ot the shop where I've bought it? Probably yes, as they may give me further instuctions of how to return it... Let's see...