account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Sony, you able to make your fans happy - camera improvements list

Adviser
Message 1 of 46
Message 1 of 46

Sony, you able to make your fans happy - camera improvements list

Dear Sony,

I would like to suggest some Sony camera improvements which will make Sony fans happy.

So, Sony XZ1 camera is good, but not the best. Color balance, video quality, night photos are great, but day photos (photos which are made with good light conditions) have many disadvantages which can be fixed/improved by Sony easily.

The following is the list of improvements which will make Sony camera the best:

1. Disadvantage: Sony noise reduction algorithm is too agressive which leads to photo details lost and another artifacts like many small blured spots which are visible when you zoom photo to 100%

Solution: Allow Sony camera users to adjust level of noise reduction. For instance, from 0 - level (disabled noise reduction at all) to N - level, and Auto level if possible. It would be great to have such option in both Sony camera modes, Manual Photo Mode and also in Auto Photo Mode.

2. Disadvantage: Currently, Sony HDR is not the best. I don't know tha cause of that, but it looks like some weak HDR algorithm.
Often, HDR is not necessary at all to make great photos. In Manual Photo Mode, it is allowed to enable/disable HDR, but in Auto Photo Mode there is no such option. That fact makes Auto Photo Mode useless. You can ask Sony fans, the most of them don't use Auto Photo Mode, the most users use Manual Photo Mode with disabled HDR.

Solution: Make HDR optional in Auto Photo Mode in order user can enable/disable HDR (enabled by default).

3. Disadvantage: As, I said above Sony camera has weak HDR and it can be fixed also.

Solution 1 (minimum): open Camera2 API to allow RAW in order Sony fans can use third-party Android camera software to make great HDR photos.
Solution 2 (maximum): open Camera2 API to allow RAW and improve Sony camera application HDR algorithm.

So, that is all Slightly smiling Face
I am software dveloper (Java, Android) and I am pretty sure that (1) and (2) is easy fix/improvement for Sony developers team.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Sony fan.

45 REPLIES 45
Adviser
Message 2 of 46
Message 2 of 46

Re: Sony, you able to make your fans happy - camera improvements list

One more improvement:

4. Disadvantage: SS - 1 seconds top limit is not enough

Solution: allow to change SS up to 4 seconds. For instance, .... 1, 2, 3, 4 seconds

Adept
Message 3 of 46
Message 3 of 46

Sony won't even update the camera icon for xz1. 

Message 4 of 46
Message 4 of 46

@dimipsal wrote:

Sony won't even update the camera icon for xz1. 

So get an icon pack.

Problem solved 

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Regular
Message 5 of 46
Message 5 of 46

buy an iphone 4 with some stupid signal wiring... and then buy a bumper to get good signal reception.

buy an Xperia and install custom software to make it produce nice photos.

well thank you dear, if I needed pure hardware i could've got Xiaomi, and installed whatever firmware I wanted. But I still wish Sony listened... because I PAID

Adept
Message 6 of 46
Message 6 of 46

Let's wish project tremble will pay off...

Adviser
Message 7 of 46
Message 7 of 46

No response from Sony support Slightly frowning Face

Adept
Message 8 of 46
Message 8 of 46

We have to raise our voice against Sony and sony fanboys. It's the only smartphone i ever bought with so many faults and lies in promotion and marketing. We have to post in every forum which is tecnology and smartphone related about those serious problems we 've got. Sony is fooling us. It's a 700 euros flagship, not a 100 euros chinese one. Which by the way would have better support. The sony xz premium has got also the same problems.

1) The marketing and promotion about the camera features in their site says less noice, more detail, faster image processing for XZ1, for which we all have the exact opposite feeling when we use it. (image) .

2) The charger inside a 700 euros phone box isn't the quick charger they are talking about in their site. But a cheaper one, thats isn't fast charging it.

3) The handsfree inside a 700 euros phone box are the cheapest ever sony produced and not any of those they have in their xz1 product site. 5 euros in the market.

4) They are selling faulty hardware devices. My wifi connection has so many problems that occured one month after i bought it.  Wifi goes off and needs restart to leave the scan loop state. Wifi is on but connection goes off for 2 sec. Wifi goes off and reconnects after 5 seconds. I did too many times reset of network settings and repair with xperia companion.

5) They are selling us a device with faulty screens. Diagonal lines, bleeding, shadows and so on.

6) The stamina mode, the marketing point for battery, makes the phone unusable.

7) There are no infos about what they are working on, what can be fixed, or any solutions. 

Look what they are telling us about sony XZ1 camera, WHAT A LIE:

sony.PNG

Adviser
Message 9 of 46
Message 9 of 46

I found only one disadvantage of Sony Xperia XZ1 device. It is camera. If they will fix that I will be totally satisfied. It is why I've created this topic.

And yes, Sony Corporation doesn't say truth about their camera. They announced that Sony camera produces high quality photos. I purchased Sony XZ1 and now I see that it is not truth (all the issues I described in this topic). I am pretty sure, that camera hardware is OK, the problem is in camera software. If Sony will not fix that issue, I will not back Sony device to the shop, but it will be last Sony device I purchased and I would prefer some another brand next time.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 10 of 46
Message 10 of 46

We need High ISO value phone