account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony XPERIA XZ1 - the good parts

Regular
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

Sony XPERIA XZ1 - the good parts

While these forums have mostly list of issues, I think it worth mentioning the good sides of a product as well.

I love this XPERIA XZ1 screen. I've had some reservations seeing it was not an OLED, but the brighness and visibility in broad daylight is stellar. I keep my device in sRGB mode and I am impressed at how nice the colors are. I know that this prevents us from using ambient display, but this is a non-issue for me.

I love the design. It reminds me of my short R&D past with a competing vendor, when we had squares prototypes which then would be later shaped into rounded devices. I hoped that some day I'll be able to get a device that looks firm. Well, I've got it now.

I love the stereo speakers. Coming from a single bottom-firing Nexus 5, I did not think that such layout will improve the quality. It is fun noticing subtle stereo effects.

Headphone jack! I know that its availability (not usage) is on decline, but it sounds amazing even with my cheap-ish headphones. The post-processing that Sony has put into this device makes me hear things I've never heard before in familiar tracks.

Android Oreo is near-stock, so it does not take much time to get used to. Additions such as audio processing, color temperature, and theming (which I have yet to take advantage of) are very welcome.

The last thing is controversial, but I like that fingerprint sensor is unavailable on the US models. Call me old-fashioned, but I can change my PIN if I want, not so easy with fingers. I am pretty sure that if the sensor was active, I felt compelled to use it, but the lack of sensor means lack of temptation.

So those are the things I feel are the highlights of this device.

1 REPLY 1
Emperor
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: Sony XPERIA XZ1 - the good parts

@eniweb

It's nice to read this type of post at a support forum every  now and then Slightly smiling Face 

As for the fingerprint sensor, you could flash the phone with either Flashtool or Xperifirm and you will be able to use it. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)