account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony Android Oreo video shows feature which are not available in any xperias

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Sony Android Oreo video shows feature which are not available in any xperias

Hello,

XZ1 owner here.

I was watching the video uploaded by sony xperia on youtube explaining features of Android 8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=80&v=dMGAknpu1rM

At 1:21 I have noticed "Ambient Screen" feature available with xperia.
I understand that "availablity of some features may depend on device model"
But none of the devices which are on Android 8 having that feature including XZ1/Compact and newly updated XZ Premium as well.

Can someone from the sony clear the confusion ?

Discover Xperia XZ Premium, now rolling out Android™ 8.0 Oreo: http://bit.ly/XperiaXZPremium_AndroidO For more on Xperia devices receiving this update: http://bit.ly/Xperia_AndroidO Android™ 8.0 Oreo on Xperia makes the little things easier, because life is hectic enough. Get useful suggestions ...
6 REPLIES 6
Inhabitant
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sony Android Oreo video shows feature which are not available in any xperias

I'm surprised you took that feature from a screen filled with marketing jargon. Personally I think it's a fancy way of saying auto screen brightness. It wasn't much of a selling point for me though

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Re: Sony Android Oreo video shows feature which are not available in any xperias

I think you didn't understood my point there.

• It is not a screen of marketing jargon, It is a list of features available with Android Oreo.
    (I think you are new to xperia so you are not aware how sony lists misc features in videos)
  • It is not anything related to to auto brightness, Please google about it.
  • That feature is important since sony is not willing to implment tap to wake so right now there is no way to peek notifications without pressing power button.

I really think that sony should enable it since it is intergrated in Oreo now.

Emperor
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@saurabhr @XepptizZ

Highlights the incoming notification with larger font, highlighted app name and immediate access to actions.

https://www.android.com/versions/oreo-8-0/

Ambient screen

The lock screen hasn't changed, but the Ambient screen has been redesigned. This comes to life whenever you get a new notification or when you pick up your device, provided that you have enabled one or both of those functions in Settings first. As always, it only lights up a fraction of the pixels, taking advantage of the fact that OLED screens don't use any power to display black.

The new Ambient screen implementation shows you each incoming notification in a larger font. It also highlights the name of the app that generated said notification, and puts quick action buttons front and center. So when you receive an email, for example, you just tap on Reply once and then the screen is automagically unlocked and you're taken straight to your email client where you can immediately start writing that reply. It's a much more efficient way to do things, especially if you like acting upon notifications as they arrive. The old Ambient screen basically emulated the lock screen, forcing you to first expand a new notification before you could act on it.

It's worth noting that when you double tap to wake the screen (or when you pick up your phone) you will see a minimal version of the Ambient screen, which only displays the time and the icons of the apps you've received notifications from. You need to then double tap again to be taken to the lock screen.

https://www.gsmarena.com/android_80_oreo-review-1653p2.php

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

@uiwooly

Thanks for explaning that.

Still Awaiting for clarification of my topic from sony staff.

Sage
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

It seems an official ad. I asked Sony's support for that function (Samsung and Google call it blue light filter) but they told me it's not implemented on xz1. 

Apprentice
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

I know you have to press power button to see notifications.

Once I did press the buttom and lock screen is presented. The lock screen move to the left telling you it did not recognize my fingerprint.

I noted that, if I press half button, it shown info we need without even trying to unlock the screen.

Maybe it works also if scrolling to unlock is set.

Not a solution, sorry.