account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

So much for the distortion fix to be out by the end of November.

Adviser
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

So much for the distortion fix to be out by the end of November.

pretty much have been waiting for the fix, and for it being released soon was a reason i bought a XZ1 instead of a pixel 2, and it's kinda annoying to see carrier branded units being updated quicker than an unlocked device, as customized UK is pretty much one of the only unlocked versions which hasn't been updated, and local support are useless, and it's kinda at the point where they may as well scrap this version and update it straight to the december patch.

10 REPLIES 10
Emperor
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: So much for the distortion fix to be out by the end of November.

@bumbling

There are myriad posts on this topic, it seems that in the UK branded phones get the update first, remember that once the update is released and sent to the carriers, it is up to them to test and approve it, since unlocked phones have to work with carriers, they could potentially delay the, approval, update. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Regular
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Same here Expressionless Face

Adviser
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

O2 haven't sent the update yet, so it's not all carriers. 

Adept
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Just press the distortion fix button inside the camera menu. I tried taking a photo of my keybord and I had no distortion using a tripod to get the exact same picture with and without the option enabled.

Adviser
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

that only works when you've gotten the update, but in reality, sony should upload the camera APK to the play store so it can be updated without an OTA.

Adviser
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

@bumbling: OTA means Over-The-Air. So every update which comes via WiFi is an OTA update - Play Store included :smileysmileywink:

Guess it's not possible to make the camera app a standalone version for the Play Store. I think Sony needs advanced hardware access for the camera software, which makes it impossible to make it a top-layer software which only has Google controlled API access...

Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

O2 have been taking a little longer with firmwares recently since adding the volte and vowifi services to handsets so it is obviously another feature they need to test.

I'm pretty sure that the update will roll soon though.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

One time poster
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

It's pretty annoying though.  I'm on O2 UK and haven't got the latest firmware yet.  The reason I chose this phone is because it shipped with Oreo and Sony have been good with security patches. More fool me I suppose.

I don't see why the carrier gets to delay a roll out for an unlocked phone.  Sony need to lean on them because it damages their good record.

Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

@bbnsol wrote:

It's pretty annoying though.  I'm on O2 UK and haven't got the latest firmware yet.  The reason I chose this phone is because it shipped with Oreo and Sony have been good with security patches. More fool me I suppose.

I don't see why the carrier gets to delay a roll out for an unlocked phone.  Sony need to lean on them because it damages their good record.

Same with everyone excluding apple and I think pixel devices iirc, unfortunately even though the firmware is unlocked, it still has to be passed for use on the networks. It sucks, true.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.