account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

So long and thanks for all the fish

SOLVED
Highlighted
Sage
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

So long and thanks for all the fish

It's just my tought but, starting after Z5 series, Sony took away everything made Xperia line different from other phone: hdmi, fm radio, podcast and many others. Recently they took off even "tap to wake" which is quite standard on any other phone.

The actual line is just a showcase for Sony core businness which is camera sensors, audio compartment and play station imagery.

Sony bragged about the Xperia's revenues obtained by cutting the Research and Development compartment. This is the outcome: a 3D camera phone for the avatar of play station games.

It's a shame that the Ericsson legacy is wasted in this poor manner. The same thing happened with Nokia.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Inhabitant
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish

These are all things which might be nice to know are there in case you ever want/need to use them (especially the FM radio), but I never once used any of them on my previous Z's. I think you're over-reacting a bit... I mean, HDMI? If you aren't casting at this point now that $30 Chromecasts are readily available, you're crazy. Besides, 3D printing is a rapidly growing enthusiast market and the 3D camera feature at least gives Sony something to differentiate themselves; not an easy task these days. Certainly better than the ability to squeeze the phone to open an app.

11 REPLIES 11
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Thats why i got a Lg g6. Loud speaker,great dual camera(only con front)Double tap and fm radio are in here. I got more for less monney! The v30 could even scare samsung and iphone. LG attleast got forward with from what i read. Sony time to wake up!

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

@Bhonder wrote:

hdmi

A fairly large connector for the current thickness of the smartphone.

@Bhonder wrote:

"tap to wake"

Better to use the standard unlock (because this button is the fingerprint sensor - is the protection). With it even faster to do the unlock screen. And this button could not be located! For it is, indeed, a tremendous thank you Sony!

Sage
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

HDMI.

In Z5 the mini USB connector doubles as hdmi output. If the cable and your TV set is mhl ready, it even powers the phone. So, no waste of space.

DOUBLE TAP

Useful to check notifications and time while you are working, and the phone is on the desk without pressing any button. Also useful,to change the track of the song.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Kudos  to Sony for once again putting out an incredible device, super excited to get one in each color on this and in the compact version, absolutely thrilled that Sony refused to cave to bezel trends.

Very happy. 

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

@Bhonder wrote:

HDMI.

In Z5 the mini USB connector doubles as hdmi output.

You mean the support of the port "microUSB" technology HDMI (MHL)? If so, then you should have written at once. Slightly smiling Face

In the USB Type-C also has this technology Winking Face Now there are cables even USB Type-C <-> HDMI

Sage
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

I know. But that output has been inhibited on Xperia from X series on.

Quite a shame. Samsung has it again.

S8 has a lot of useful functions, but it is heavily loaded with Samsung personalization.

For example, yesterday my wife discovered that there is an auto-answer which engages if you don't pick a call while driving. And there is am automatic filter for phone spammers, without the need to buy an app.

We also discovered that there is a flag to bind/unbind bluetooth's audio volume to your headset rocker. It's quite useful, if your headset's minimum volume is too high.

Xperias are quite sleek, but have lost the few distinctive functionalities that used to make Sony's phone standout from the crowd: a flagship phone with, also, the functions of a mid tier device (fm radio) and those one of a tv-box set (hdmi output).

Inhabitant
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

These are all things which might be nice to know are there in case you ever want/need to use them (especially the FM radio), but I never once used any of them on my previous Z's. I think you're over-reacting a bit... I mean, HDMI? If you aren't casting at this point now that $30 Chromecasts are readily available, you're crazy. Besides, 3D printing is a rapidly growing enthusiast market and the 3D camera feature at least gives Sony something to differentiate themselves; not an easy task these days. Certainly better than the ability to squeeze the phone to open an app.

Sage
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

I don't want to argue but they don't give their phones away for free. A little bit of effort  in maintaining software doesn't sound so hard: they are an international company, not a bunch of indie programmers.

Just my opinion.

Really: I don't want to sound rude.

One time poster
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

I was just about to buy the new Xperia XZ1. The built quality feels really great! But, I'm happy that I didn't. 

Sony removed HDMI / MHL, small apps, Xperia keyboard, magnetic charging port, double tap to wake, fm radio from their recent phones. Even the Music app no longer supports visualization. Oh. Not to forget. Even TrackID and SensMe is now a goner. 

I really missed having most of these features in my Xperia. I wonder what else will be removed from the next line ups of Xperia. 

Well. To save myself from any kind of unexpected disappointment. I think I'll go to Apple Store / Samsung. Perhaps they could offer something better there.