account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Significant performance drop in games (Unreal Engine) after the update on Android 9

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Significant performance drop in games (Unreal Engine) after the update on Android 9

I have 2 phones. Watching the problem on both. Appeared after the update on Android 9. On one of the phones tried a factory reset and recovery through Xperia-Companion - the is no result. The problem is observed on the new clean system.

I will try to explain the example of the game HIT. ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nexon.hit.global) 

It has graphics settings with a scale from 1 to 5. Before the upgrade of course I play on level 5, because Adreno 540 powerful enough GPU. Visually at least 30fps. On level 1 even faster of course. No lags were observed at all.

After the update on Android 9, I see very strong lags at the time of rendering of particle effects (explosions/magic , etc.) however, if there are no such effects on the screen, the performance drop is not observed. Under the performance drop I mean a frame rate drop to 3-5 fps and even a stuttering sound!

I've been playing this game for over 2 years, and even on an Xperia Z1 (Android 5) phone there's nothing like it. Yes, it is naturally worse performance than the XZ1, but just smoother, and the game there shows normal performance at the level of graphics 1-3.

Once again, I want to note that on Android 8, no such problems were not! 

I unfortunately don't know what the situation is in games on other graphics engines that aren't Unreal Engine. For example, in Asphalt 8, I did not notice strong performance drop. But in the game
Darkness Rises (Unreal Engine) are observed, similarly, during rendering the particle effects . Although not as much as in HIT.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: Significant performance drop in games (Unreal Engine) after the update on Android 9

Are both phones you've observed this, Xperia devices?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Learner
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Re: Significant performance drop in games (Unreal Engine) after the update on Android 9

Yes, certainly. Both phones -- XZ1. One is my, the second is my wifes. One was just updated over the air. On the second conducted a series of experiments, installation Android 9 via PC and reset to factory. It didn't lead to anything. I see the situation on both phones is exactly the same. Immediately after installing Android 9. The game itself was not updated at this time.