account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

My new Xperia XZ1 needs a password to open, although the i have set a finger print

SOLVED
Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

My new Xperia XZ1 needs a password to open, although the i have set a finger print

Althour my new cell phone has a fingerprint set, it asks for a password to open after restart, i have not registered it with a gmail account yet. Now I cannot open my new mobile.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: My new Xperia XZ1 needs a password to open, although the i have set a finger print

Hi @AhmedMohie, welcome to our forum and congratulations on your new Xperia XZ1!

Even if you have a fingerprint set on your device, you will need to use the backup screen lock (PIN, password or pattern) in the situations listed below.

• The first time that you unlock your device after you have enabled fingerprint.
  • When your fingerprint isn't recognized after 5 tries.
  • After restarting your device.
  • When more than 72 hours have passed since you last unlocked your device using your backup screen unlock option.

Do you remember the password you set when adding a fingerprint on the device? If you do, you can unlock the phone using this password.

If you do not remember and if you do not have a Google account added in the device, you will need to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

This will delete all data stored on the internal storage of the device and in the same process, remove the screen lock from the device.

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

5 REPLIES 5
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: My new Xperia XZ1 needs a password to open, although the i have set a finger print

Hi @AhmedMohie, welcome to our forum and congratulations on your new Xperia XZ1!

Even if you have a fingerprint set on your device, you will need to use the backup screen lock (PIN, password or pattern) in the situations listed below.

• The first time that you unlock your device after you have enabled fingerprint.
  • When your fingerprint isn't recognized after 5 tries.
  • After restarting your device.
  • When more than 72 hours have passed since you last unlocked your device using your backup screen unlock option.

Do you remember the password you set when adding a fingerprint on the device? If you do, you can unlock the phone using this password.

If you do not remember and if you do not have a Google account added in the device, you will need to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

This will delete all data stored on the internal storage of the device and in the same process, remove the screen lock from the device.

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Visitor
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hi Jonas, 

Thanks for your kind support, actually I tried the password set during fingerprint set and it works.

Thanks Again

AhmedMohie

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Hi again!

You're very welcome and I'm glad to hear that you were able to unlock the device without having to perform a software repair! Slightly smiling Face

Have a great day!

One time poster
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Hello There!

This is my problem right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

I got the XZ1, but Im not using it yet. I set up a pattern password and my fingerprint... and put the phone away. So when I took the phone again after few days to explore more, I have completely forgotten the password and it doesnt unlock with my fingerprints.

I have tried the ANDROID Device Manager, but since I havent used the phone, it cant reach the device!!!

Im feeling so frustated, I dont know what to do. The phone is new, I havent setting nothing on the phone yet... and just forgot the password.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Hi @Patijia, sorry to hear about this and I apologize for the late reply.

In this case I recommend that you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.

This will delete all data stored on the internal storage of the phone, and in the same process remove the screen lock of your phone.

Do note that if the phone can't be unlocked, you will not be able to create a backup, however since you haven't started to use the phone, this is hopefully fine in your case.

I hope that helps!