account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Memory card

SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Memory card

Please can someone tell me what memory card the XZ1 uses? I've seen mention of a microSDXC but also seen microSDHC advertised as being usable. What's the difference and more importantly, which, if either, is the right one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Re: Memory card

@Diamond-HeartVix, they will all work on your XZ1, but the option that has the most storage is microSDXC Slightly smiling Face It does have support for up to 256GB SD Cards.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

9 REPLIES 9
Apprentice
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

AFAIK microSDXC are the most capacious cards (above 64GB)

Highlighted
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

@bandreater wrote:

AFAIK microSDXC are the most capacious cards (above 64GB)

So, in theory, I could use microSDHC and it be fully supported by the phone with no problems, or for a larger storage, I can use a microSDXC? 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Hi @Diamond-HeartVix, elcome to the community.

@bandreater is absolutely correct. Here's some more information about the different memory types.

MicroSD™, MicroSDHC and MicroSDXC are three different micro SD card standards with different specifications. MicroSD™ devices can only use MicroSD™ cards, MicroSDHC devices can use both MicroSDHC and MicroSD cards and MicroSDXC devices support all three types.

• MicroSD™ is short for Micro Secure Digital. High speed microSD™ cards read and write data faster than other SD cards. MicroSD™ is classified into Class2 (2 MB/sec), Class4 (4MB/sec), and Class6 (6MB/sec) in transmitting speeds. Speed Class is not mandatory for SD cards.
  • MicroSDHC is short for Micro Secure Digital High Capacity. It specializes in supporting high capacity between 2 GB-32 GB and is classified into Class2 (2 MB/sec), Class4 (4MB/sec), Class6 (6MB/sec), Class10 (10MB/sec), U1 (10MB/s) and U3 (30MB/s) in minimum transmitting speeds. Speed Class is mandatory for SDHC cards.

Note! MicroSDHC cards must have the SDHC logo and the speed variant symbol on the card. A card without these marks may cause compatibility problems. 

• MicroSDXC is short for Micro Secure Digital eXtended Capacity. It supports high capacity from 32 GB to 2 TB and is classified into Class2 (2 MB/sec), Class4 (4MB/sec), Class6 (6MB/sec), Class10 (10MB/sec), U1 (10MB/s) and U3 (30MB/s) in minimum transmitting speeds. Speed Class is mandatory for SDXC cards.

Note! MicroSDXC cards must have the SDXC logo and the speed variant symbol on the card. A card without these marks may cause compatibility problems. 

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Thanks @CameronT 

Wow though, now I'm REALLY confused lol. As you're Sony Xperia Support, can you tell me which of those many options I need for a XZ1, please? My head is spinning through discombobulation and I have no idea which memory card I need to look for.

Also, am I right in thinking the XZ1 supports upto 256Gb?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

@Diamond-HeartVix, they will all work on your XZ1, but the option that has the most storage is microSDXC Slightly smiling Face It does have support for up to 256GB SD Cards.

Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

@CameronT wrote:

You are a superstar. Thank you so much 😀

Apprentice
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

I pointed my attention to Samsung EVO Plus U3 128GB or even Samsung EVO Plus U3 256GB

As far as I googled is the best solution for XZ1 external memory

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Happy to help :smileysmileythumbsup:

Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

@bandreater wrote:

I pointed my attention to Samsung EVO Plus U3 128GB or even Samsung EVO Plus U3 256GB

As far as I googled is the best solution for XZ1 external memory

Thank you.

Omg I've really struggled to find anything about it, hence my confusion and posting here!