account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Can't connect or charge when linked to a computer

Apprentice
Message 21 of 27
Message 21 of 27

Re: Can't connect or charge when linked to a computer

Same problem here.  Charges just fine from the wall but wont connect to any pc or android auto through multiple cables.  Tried multiple cables.  Tried uninstalling many apps.  Can't repair with companion software as it won't connect to a pc.  Worked fine for many months and now nothing.  Phone likely out of warranty so no help there.  This is my 3rd or 4th sony phone and likely my last as this is ridiculous.  Been at least two android updates from Sony since this started with no fix.

Apprentice
Message 22 of 27
Message 22 of 27

Called support about this issue.  Waste of time.  Had me download a PC driver from 2017 stating it would allow me to perform a repair with the companion.  After installing the driver, device manager for the installed driver says "This device cannot start. (Code 10).  The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device."  So it's likely installing this driver did nothing as it is not running properly but i tried the repair anyway.  Start repair from the xperia companion, checked the device cannot be detected box, unplugged and turned off the phone and held volume down while plugging it back into the computer.  The companion says to wait for it to advance to the next step.  Nothing after 10 minutes.

Called support again and they said i should send in the out of warranty phone for a repair.  Don't feel like paying for this bull crap that they screwed up with their updates (phone worked flawlessly for 9+ months with both my PC and andriod auto then an update and now nothing with mulitple pcs and cables).  Especially as a factory reset results in the same detect usb devices greyed out and no usb connectivity and their own phone number in their own email isn't active anymore.  Think im done with sony.

Inhabitant
Message 23 of 27
Message 23 of 27

Experiencing the same problem here. The problem is still not fixed with build number 47.2.A.10.62.

Inhabitant
Message 24 of 27
Message 24 of 27

Go to Settings --> System --> About phone --> click on build number 7 times in quick succession. You will see that developer options has been enabled in system settings.

Go to developer options --> scroll down to Networking --> click on Default USB Configuration --> select "File transfer" .

Connect to a computer and the phone will be recognized.

Rookie
Message 25 of 27
Message 25 of 27

Thank you for your suggestion, however this has been suggested many times by multiple sources. The USB settings are grayed out because it doesn't seem to know its even connected to a computer. It is therefore impossible to do what you suggested.

There are multiple threads on the forums that describe the same problem. Maybe one of the mods or someone from Sony can merge them. 

According to the Sony support chat it requires you to send in the phone for repair to solve the problem. To this point it is not clear if this is a software or hardware issue. Maybe soldering from Sony could elaborate on this and shed some light on the problem. 

Inhabitant
Message 26 of 27
Message 26 of 27

Hi @otandreto. Just to clarify, my suggestion is not about enabling USB debugging mode . This method doesn't work (I've tried it).

If you scroll down a bit further in developer options, there'll be a 'Networking' option under which a "Default USB Configuration" options exists. Clicking on it will reveal other options from which "File transfer" is to be selected. These options are not greyed out for me and this has solved my problem. All the other methods I tried didn't work.

Rookie
Message 27 of 27
Message 27 of 27

You are right, they are not grayed out. Although they still do not work as those settings will only be active once the phone detects a computer. As long as the phone doesn't even detect that, there is no setting that will restore the functionality. So no solution here.