account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Can't connect or charge when linked to a computer

Message 11 of 27
Message 11 of 27

Re: Can't connect or charge when linked to a computer

Chatted with a Sony employee in the Netherlands, it seems to be a bug wich is fixed in the next Android version...

Learner
Message 12 of 27
Message 12 of 27

Spoke with a Sony rep in Canada. If you can, send in for warranty repair. If that's not an option, AirDroid is a good work-around to transfer files. Hopefully your phone still charges when plugged into the wall outlet. 

Message 13 of 27
Message 13 of 27

But that won't help you with AndroidAuto...

Visitor
Message 14 of 27
Message 14 of 27

I have a XZ1 and love the phone but have this exact problem phone is immaculate and in good order cable and wall plug work perfect but cannot get it to connect to a pc via usb in any way whatsoever what is the solution to this problem somebody tell me please ive never had this problem before !

Learner
Message 15 of 27
Message 15 of 27

This may get deleted before you see it, but my solution was to change to a different brand of phone. Likely won't use a Sony phone again. 

One time poster
Message 16 of 27
Message 16 of 27

I have the same problem when plugged in my phone no notification appear (to switch from charging to file transfer) and it charge for one second then stop,and this is a screen shot of when i search for 

usb preferences (all the buttons are disabled).

screen shot.JPG

One time poster
Message 17 of 27
Message 17 of 27

Hi,

I have the same problem since the last update (47.2.A.10.28).

When i plug the phone with the official usb cable, nothing appened. It's just charging, but not on all computers. It seems that usb version is important. Before update charging work well on all computer i have.

I have activated developper options and force setting to "transfert files", reboot the phone, tried in safe mode. Nothing change.

When i go in usb parameters, all options are disabled.

I've tried to plug the phone with Linux and Windows 10 and it's not detected at all.

My guess is that usb is completly broken in this version of android. Only charging is activated which is a minimum Slightly smiling Face. Even if we try to force mode it's just saved in a property file, but the service wich is responsible of managing usb is down/disabled/desactivated/broken ?

On other forums of other manufacturers and it seems that they have the same problem on Pie.

There are work arounds, using airdroid or other to transfer files. We can copy files on sd card and then copy file on PC. We can even copy them on cloud. That fine for some files, during some days or few weeks, not more.

Could you tell us if this issue is being patched shortly or if we need to change our phones ?

Regards,

One time poster
Message 18 of 27
Message 18 of 27

I have exactly the same problem as remcodegreat, Chalhoub and octavilnus.
Phone isn't seen on the PC or the car either (and hence Android Auto isn't working).

Device is xperia XZ1 (model G8341)

Android version: 9

Build: 47.2.A.10.45

It's pretty obvious some sony genius software developer has messed up the USB management part of the software.

Why on earh did anyone even change that in the first place?

For the love of me!

Fix it asap.

One time poster
Message 19 of 27
Message 19 of 27

I've had this problem since I got my xperia XZ1 14 months ago.  I didn't think it was the phone itself, but the cable.  The USB-C out of box did not connect to any of my computers but charged my phone fine.  The spare cable I bought (always good to have a spare) did connect my phone to my computers.  I have bought three other cables so far and out of the five of them, only two connect my phone to computers for data transfer and charge. 

Sadly I can't remember what brands the USB-C cables are. 

I have not updated to Pie yet.  Is this issue fixed in Pie?

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 20 of 27
Message 20 of 27

I have the same problem. My xz1 runs on Pie (Android 9) and does not connect to pc at all. I tried everything i could find with google and talking to a sony rep. via chat. Their conclusion was to send it in for repair. At some point I was able to connect it but not sure what android version it was running. The problem was present at the start of this year and since then installed all the updates offered by Sony. Currently running Build number 47.2.A.10.45

My wife has the same phone (different color) and hers works but runs on Oreo (android 8). Her phone works fine. When she uses my cable her phones works perfectly. So it means it is not my cable that is faulty. When I use her cable, it does not work. So problem seems to be my phone.

I'm returning it to the store to have it fixed as adviced by Sony rep. I will report back if my phone has been returned.