account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Can't connect or charge when linked to a computer

Rookie
Message 1 of 27
Message 1 of 27

Can't connect or charge when linked to a computer

Since the Oreo Update of Android on my XZ1, I can no longer connect my phone to any computer, be it by USB2 or USB3 ports. When I connect my phone to any computer, it no longer charge, and can't be detected by the computer : no notifications appear on the phone and when I look in the device explorer of my computer, there is nothing to see.

I tried everything I've seen online but nothing seems to work :

- I am not using a USB hub, just the regular USB ports of the computers.

- I am using the original USB cable which works just fine on other USB-C phones.

- I tried to enable/disable the USB Debbuging in the phone.

- I also tried the "Connection -> USB Connection" thing in the parameters of the phone, but the "USB connection mode" is still disabled.

Does anyone knows if i'll have to send it to the SAV, or if there is anything to do to make it work again?

26 REPLIES 26
Rookie
Message 2 of 27
Message 2 of 27

Re: Can't connect or charge when linked to a computer

Hi,

Did you try to pull the curtain from the screen top and select "Transfer files" ?

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 3 of 27
Message 3 of 27

I can't do it, since my phone doesn't even display the notification that it is connected to a computer. If it did, I would have change it to MTP or whatever.

Rookie
Message 4 of 27
Message 4 of 27

You mean you cannot even pull down the curtain on the phone ?

When you pull it down you will see The Android System.. and then you should be able to click on that and the pop up appears. Is it the case you dont even see that ?

Rookie
Message 5 of 27
Message 5 of 27

Hi,

Try to go to: Settings-> System-> About Phone-> Build Number  and click several times so you become a developer. Go back one step so you end up in Settings-> System and you should now be able to go to Settings-> System->Developer options and then toggle USB debugging.

Rookie
Message 6 of 27
Message 6 of 27

In my first post I said that I already tried to enable the USB Debugging without it working.

And when I slide down the notification bar I can see all the icons and notifications of my apps, but I can't see any notifications or message that make the usual pop up appear. Anyway since my phone don't even charge when connected to a PC (it charges fine when linked to any sector adapter) I doubt the pop up will appear. 

Pioneer
Message 7 of 27
Message 7 of 27

@Rhist

One more try:

You already activated Developer Options, so the menu item should be present.

Reboot (just to be shure)

Goto settings

Tap the magnifying glass

Do a search on: USB

If all goes well there is a line: Select USB Configuration

Tap your choice

Report back please, maybe you already have gone through all this, I am not shure by what you have written.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Rookie
Message 8 of 27
Message 8 of 27

Tried it also, didn't work. I think I'll have to use the warrant. 

Learner
Message 9 of 27
Message 9 of 27

My xperia xz1 just started suffering the same problem. Was this something that can be fixed, or did they replace your phone, or other? 

Message 10 of 27
Message 10 of 27

I'm suffering the same problem. 

I did everything said over here:

https://support.sonymobile.com/nl/xperiaxz1/faq/the-phone-doesnt-appear-on-the-computer-when-its-con...

And I'm also suffering the same problem with Android Auto, wich I think is the same problem:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ1/Problems-with-Android-Auto/td-p/1272538

Please Sony respond!? Or did anyone else got some feedback how to resolve this?