account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Bad mms-quality when recieving

Apprentice
Message 31 of 56
Message 31 of 56

Re: Bad mms-quality when recieving

HI

99% This is not because of the Phone, The cellualr operator sets the network MMS decoder according to the device model,  if the model is not known (The device was not launched in this cellular operator and it's not a popular device)  the network will set the MMS decoder with default settings which is very low in order not to risk message delivery.

Adviser
Message 32 of 56
Message 32 of 56

@shaih: I hear and understand what you mean.

However in Sweden and Denmark, at least, the phone was launched with the operator/carrier 3 and therefor this discrimination shouldn`t have been an issue from the beginning, I think?

And since the solution come from Sony Techsupport themselves I take it that there was something that was in Sonys hands to fix. I don`t know for sure, til I get my answer on just that.

Sony Techsupport and the operator/carrier 3 has open tickets in "my" case. And only Sony techsupport was contacting me and asked me to try recieve MMS now, and it worked. I haven`t heard a word from 3 techsupport since I opened a ticket via telephone.

But hey, Sony might guided 3 on how to make their networksetting for XZ1? Maybe a simple human error that needed attention or something.

But now we wait for our Canadian XZ1-owner to have the same issue fixed with his company Rogers! And is there anyone else lurking around here, still with the same issue?

Please come forward and write if so. This needs attention since we all have paid a fair amount of cach for this high-end phone and sertainly most of us likes Sony for the quality the brand carries.

Regards, sfalk

Regular
Message 33 of 56
Message 33 of 56

My SIM card was simply moved from my old Z3 (Rogers issued) to my XZ1 (unlocked), so network settings did not change and confirmed with Rogers that they shouldn't. 

I would like to get directly in touch with Sony Mobile. Any recommended direct contact? 

Regular
Message 34 of 56
Message 34 of 56

Sfalk, are you saying that Sony Mobile WORKED WITH your carrier to resolve the issue? Was it specific to the new XZ1 model? As I mentioned, the Z3 was perfectly fine right up until I simply moved the SIM card into the XZ1. 

Apprentice
Message 35 of 56
Message 35 of 56

I am also having this pour quality mms pic issue with bell in Ontario Canada.  Bell blames Sony.  Sony blames the messaging app and no amount of "no, it's far worse then the normal compression and far worse then the same app on my old z5" or suggesting they read this thread makes any difference.  Very frustrating.

Everything, pics and videos, are being compressed to 64kb.  Edit: actually, and this is very strange, messages was showing 2 different pics and a video received as 64kb but now it is showing as 4.3, 3 and 41kb.  A 228kb pic is being received at 3kb.

Adviser
Message 36 of 56
Message 36 of 56

Well, it seems to me that some operators need to allow Sony XZ in their net. Or if it`s Sony that needs to send all carriers some info to let XZ work in their net??

Just got an Sony firmware update a month ago or so, and now the poor quality is back in my phone, regardless who I send MMS to.. It could also be the built-in message-app.

The last time the supportteam solved it (for me atleast) in a matter of weeks. But now I`m so very diasppointed that the problem came back after firmware update or if it was the message-app update. Back to square 1 again anyway. With a phone that cost about US$ 860 here in Sweden.

I think that the supportteam is doing great but Sony has obvious problems with poor quality related to MMS in both Europe and Canada and that is simply not acceptable in 2018!

At the end of the day the brand Sony is doing a Titanic from my point of view. And in my family we have always thought of Sony as a premium brand and therefor we have paid more money for Sony products regardless the Koreans have the same (or better) portfolio of products in Samsung and LG.
Most likely we will have another brand for our cellphones before summer and when it comes to other techproducts we have to take a glance at Panasonic and other brands that proclaim a high-end product in TV:s, earbuds, BluRay, speakers and so on..

One time poster
Message 37 of 56
Message 37 of 56

yes i have the same problem. On xz1 in Australia, had to import the mobile, as Australia Sony does not carry it, and all my friends recieve from me bad grainy mms. Not happy about that. spent $700+ on new mobile this shouldnt be happening in 2018. So now fix atm? i gather

Inhabitant
Message 38 of 56
Message 38 of 56

I also just noticed this issue. I don't recall how long it has been going on but it is incredibly annoying.

I put my sim into my old Xperia Z3 to test it and the problem does not exist on that phone.

When using the default msg centre Android Messages, I can see that I have an incoming msg 600kb large, but the final pic is 6kb, and completely blocky once viewed.

I'm with Freedom Mobile, so is my wife (on a Pixel 2). Anything I send her looks fine. Anything I receive is always below 10kb. I sent her a 326kb pic, she receives a 326kb pic. She sends me the exact same pic back and I get a 3.5kb pic. My dad on Rogers also sent me some test pics and they have the same problem.

I downloaded Textra and set MMS Behavior setting to Legacy and that fixed the problem for now, but I can't send or receive MMS messages when using my VPN in Legacy mode, so this is not a real solution for me.

The girl I spoke to in chat recommended I run a repair on the phone. Has anybody tried a full software repair (read: system flash) using PC Companion? Results?

Apprentice
Message 39 of 56
Message 39 of 56

Sony also suggested I do a repair and or factory reset but the issue occurred for me within 1 day of the device being factory new and took forever to update (like 14 separate updates each requiring restarting the phone) so I'm in no hurry to try this. 

Inhabitant
Message 40 of 56
Message 40 of 56

Well the benefit of doing the repair is that it flashes the newest firmware image all-in-one go instead of having to update 14 updates over the air which can cause problems sometimes.

I have seen that happen on occasion so your fresh off the factory phone with 14 updates may not be as fresh as an actual single image flash from the repair function.

I already did a repair flash right when I got the phone because it wouldn't let me use Gboard over SwiftKey (lol Swiftkey) without resetting the settings every time I started the phone and the repair fixed that.

I'm sceptical but I'll probably wait until we get 8.1 and then do a repair Flash.

Factory reset is like restoring defaults, while repair is like formatting and reinstalling the latest version of the OS.