account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Bad mms-quality when recieving

Regular
Message 11 of 56
Message 11 of 56

Re: Bad mms-quality when recieving

JFYI, MMS images get compressed on the phone first (if software chooses to do so), but the carrier also have the ability to recompress the images before delivering to the recipient.

In case a phone sends an image that's larger than allowed size, carrier can recompress it to whatever size it wants.

Adviser
Message 12 of 56
Message 12 of 56

As i have written before; this has never happened before with any other cellphone we got. And all our phones for the last decade have been in 3`s carrier-net. I have also talked to the 3 techsupport and was told that they handle all phones the same way, so the problem is not with the carrier. And to verify that my other familymembers have the same carrier (3) but Samsung, LG and iPhone and don`t have this issue. So it`s clearly my XZ1 having this issue!

Sure the images is somewhat compressed normally, but down to 2-5 kb is laughable. And completely pixelated/grainy to the extend that you can`t see what the image is supposed to be.. Now, tell me if that is normal in your eyes Winking Face. The pictures I have recieved was of course taken by family members own phones and not pictures fron Snatchat, Instagram or other places with already compressed sizes.

And there is other in the forum writing about the same problem. But as I mentioned in my first post, it seems to be a very small amount of users affected.

I`ve got in touch with Emir from Sony Techsupport and sent him a report-log last week and waiting for an answer to see if there is anything to do but turn the phone in as an warranty issue.

Since the phone came this way out of the box it sure is something wrong with it. No installed apps that was disturbing or making it this funny.

Regards, Mats

Message 13 of 56
Message 13 of 56

@SfalkI just want to double check that I understood you correctly: when you say that Textra didn't solve your problem, you mean that you actually set it as default SMS app and you were still receiving pictures compressed to about 2-5 kB?

Adviser
Message 14 of 56
Message 14 of 56

@najodleglejszy: Yes, Textra didn't make any changes for incoming mms-quality. And it was set as default sms/mms app.

Message 15 of 56
Message 15 of 56

@Sfalkhmm, in that case you might want to try another carrier's SIM to check if the same thing happens. just to make sure it's not an issue on your carrier's end.

Adviser
Message 16 of 56
Message 16 of 56

I talked to my carriers techsupport and they denied possible fault at their end. 

And I can only change sim within the same carrier since the phone is locked to the carrier (3).

Apprentice
Message 17 of 56
Message 17 of 56

the   same  problem  here  in  Denmark  with 3  , picture  shows  3  store  in  Copenhagen DSC_0083.jpg

its  less  then 4 kb  ,  it  has  been  sent  from  my  own  number  as  a  test  message ,

ii  is  possible  that  pictures  are  squzeed  so  much  just  on  xz1  phones  ??

i  still  have  my  old  xz  ,  there  no  problems  until  i  changed  to  xz1 

3  says  its  not  there  fault  ,  sony  in  lund  says  its  problem  with  3  ,

Apprentice
Message 18 of 56
Message 18 of 56

The same pictures sent on my old xz are fine and readable. This one is only 32 kb sent from xz. Squizing pictures to 2-3 kb must be definitely a xz1 bug. 

20171102_225324.jpg

Message 19 of 56
Message 19 of 56

@strzelec1971qwcan you try a SIM card from another carrier to make sure it's definitely not a carrier issue?

Apprentice
Message 20 of 56
Message 20 of 56

i  tried  with  Telmore  and  quality  is  much  better  ,  also  size  but  is  not  as  clear  as  on  xz  .

There  is  is  discussion  on  site  called  xperiasite.pl  regarding  very  much  the  same  problem  .

"  3"  does  not  opearate  in  Poland  . Looks  like  the  phone  behaves  differently  depending  on  wchich  carrier  is  used  . Hope  the  text  can  translated  on  google  .

http://www.xperiasite.pl/topic/26084-s%C5%82aba-jako%C5%9B%C4%87-mms/