account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Bad mms-quality when recieving

Adviser
Message 1 of 54
Message 1 of 54

Bad mms-quality when recieving

Hi, when I recieve MMS it's very poor quality on the photos. It's automatically croped to just a few kb. All MMS is like that NO matter from whom or what mobile/carrier it is sent from.

Been so since I got the phone 2 weeks ago. Asked my carrier (3, sweden) but they had no clue.

I have alse done a complete reset om the phone but the problem didn't solve. I hqve reinstalled the aettings for my carrier just to be sure that wasn't the problem. I have also tried another sms/mms app (Textra) but no success.

Has anyone some ideas/clues what is causing this and how to get it right?

Regards from Mats in Sweden

53 REPLIES 53
Emperor
Message 2 of 54
Message 2 of 54

Re: Bad mms-quality when recieving

@Sfalk

MMS usually compress the pictures, if I want to get Hi-res pictures I shared them through box, dropbox, etc 

There might be other messaging apps that might allow you to do that, trial and error I suppose

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 3 of 54
Message 3 of 54

Thanks for answer, but that is not the solution. As I wrote I've tried another recommended app.

The compression from, let's say, 2MB from the sender to 2.5kb when the picture hits me is not in any way normal! 

Message 4 of 54
Message 4 of 54

@Sfalk that *is* normal, because MMS size limit is usually around 300 kB. also keep in mind that the photos are compressed at sender's end before sending, so the quality also depends on the app used by the person sending you MMS.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 5 of 54
Message 5 of 54

So it's normal to recieve such as pixeled/grainy picture that it's completely unrecognized what's in it??

Never happened to me before, never happened to my family or some of my friends I mentioned rhus problem to.

Maybe I'm bad at explaining The problem? 

Imagine you get a picture that is 2,5 kilobyte in size... Kilobyte, not megabyte. That means I can't recognice my own doughters selfie, a plate of cookies or a bumblebee that waa sent to me so far. And nothing else I suppose.

The pictures is so grainy/pixeled in that wize so it's not possible to see what it is! 

I went to the retailer (3 store) and they sent me pics there on the spot and saw the same **bleep**ty size and couldn't solve it by looking into the settings even.

So none of the above help is a solution, but I thank you for your input! I would be glad IF I got like 300kb instead of barely 10 percent og that...

Emperor
Message 6 of 54
Message 6 of 54

@Sfalk

JW which carrier network do you have?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 7 of 54
Message 7 of 54

@Sfalk as I said, pictures are compressed on the phone of the person that sends the MMS. that said, Android Messages app is horrible when it comes to compressing photos, so if the sender is using that app, it might be why the photos you're receiving are pixelated.

Adviser
Message 8 of 54
Message 8 of 54

Finally got in contact with Sony techsupport here in Sweden. 

It's a bugg and the problem is known for some users; no identifikation of a special productionset of phones or a special networkcarrier. But it seems to be a very small amount of XZ1 with just that bugg, said the technician. (maybe just even Swedes?)

The few of us that has this problem will have it fixed with next update, but techsupport did not have an date for that fix.

Thank you all for helping out in this thread!! Slightly smiling Face  

Even if it's a small amout of users affected maybe someone else will have use of the answers! 

Kudos to you all, this very alive forum and Sony! 

Regards from a chilly Sweden // Mats 

Adviser
Message 9 of 54
Message 9 of 54

P.s. The mms sent to me was from two different models of Samsung and iPhone (sorry for swearing) with different sms/mms apps and different carriers. D.s.

Adviser
Message 10 of 54
Message 10 of 54

Update: A connection with Sony techsupport is more intense now and they are looking deep into my issue.

Awaiting a solution, if it's possible. I will update furthermore and mark the thread as "Solved" when the time is right.

Regards, Mats