account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Android 9 is awful

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Android 9 is awful

Hello all,

I've been using new Android for 2 hours now and I'm really, really dissapointed. First issue, which I had immediately after update, was popping-up error about smart backlight control stopped working. It was flashing every 1-2 seconds. I turned off this option, restarted the phone, turned it on again and so far it works.

Second thing - what is going on with my battery? Its life is going down like an avalanche. I used to charge the phone on every second day with Adroid Oreo, now I think I can forget about that, because after 2 hours I've lost almost 30 %.

Also quick wi-fi menu to chose the network is gone. Normally, after sliding the menu from the top of the screen, there was a wifi icon, under which there was an option to access the list of available nets by tapping the arrow. Now I have to hold the wi-fi icon for being redirected to standard wi-fi settings. 

And finally the biggest crap. What happened to volume buttons? Why can't I manage my ringtone volume in easy way? Did the Adroid creators and programmes really think that MEDIA VOLUME is the most important thing to have a quick access to? Screw it, if it was a default setting after pushing volume button, but in Oreo at least I could roll the settings by pushing this little arrow down and have a quick access also to ringtone and alarm.

It  really good.

This is only after 2 hours of "enjoying" new Android.

This is really annoying and user undfriendly.

14 REPLIES 14
Regular
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Android 9 is awful

Not just you.. I'm also having all those issues.. 

But I'm kinda hoping to get our xz1 fixed next security update)

Otherwise.. I'm going back to Oreo.. 

Now i need a power bank for my xz1..

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

How to get back? Backup to defaults won't give you previous Android version, or will it?

One time poster
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

Android 9 is terrible, but more future

Hallo, 

First sorry for my bad Englisch... 

Aftre update to Android 9 is my phon last, evry samsung is beter as xperia.

I think the Problem is by sony, it's not rady for the end user, but out in the world.

Problems in to much points, 

...Conaktions

...apps stability

... New disighne and more

And the System is not for only xz1 or xz3, its wars cut for all and not individuelity

Das Betriebssystem sollte überarbeitet werden, und auf jeden einzelnens Gerät zugeschnitten werden.

Place move the clock back... On the left side is not nice. 

More root and more color options for user.

Thank you!

I'm 10 yars sony fan. no way for other

Regular
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

@Unregistered user wrote:

How to get back? Backup to defaults won't give you previous Android version, or will it?

Well the only way to go back to Oreo is by flashing it via Flashtool.. 

Download the latest oreo update

Then connect ur phone

And flash it.. 

Watch some vids on YouTube.. To be more sure.. 

By the way.. You gonna lose all apps and data on your mobile.. 

Upgrading wont cause losing data but downgrading does..

I know how it feels.. Our xz1 is unusable after pie update.. But lets just wait for the next update at least..

Next security update should be out for us after 10 days or maybe less

Regular
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

I hope some of this forum moderators have seen what we are suffering from.. 

Sony is getting worse over the time.. 

Highlighted
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

@Unregistered user @Bortle

There's a workaround for the people who want to control ringer and notification volume when pressing the volume buttons. Simply install Button Mapper v0.73 APK, grant it accessibility permission, then map your volume up button to "Volume up" and volume down button to "Volume down". This will make the volume buttons control ringtone and notification volume by default and you'll see 2 sliders on-screen: one for ringtones and the other for media.

Note: DO NOT install later versions of this app, you'll find this feature requires a paid subscription (unless you want to support the developer, of course).

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Learner
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

I don't have any described problems with Pie update (47.2.A.4.45 ). Only with volume buttons, but this is default Pie behaviour.

Adviser
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

It still freezes every other hour. It's then impossible to swipe left or right. You will not notice if you press on any icon, then it works. You will also notice that clock widget freezes and only updates once any icon is pressed. I assume that during these freeze moments a lot of battery is used, it at least looks like that.

Needless to say that I also made a complete software repair - no help at all (47.2.A.4.45)

Adviser
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

47.2.A.6.30 is available. Again, the phone did not install ota or with Xperia Companion. Full Software Repair was necessary. I hope that at least the bugs have been repaired.