account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xz1 compact no audio through earpiece. Have to answer calls on speakerphone.

Learner
Message 1 of 31
Message 1 of 31

30 REPLIES 30
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 31
Message 2 of 31

Re: Xz1 compact no audio through earpiece. Have to answer calls on speakerphone.

Hi @Kieranotoole, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

Is this something that you have started to experience very recently, for example after installing a new application or updating your device?

Have you tried if the ear speaker working outside of calls? You can do so in the inbuilt test in the device that you can find in Settings > Support > tap the icon in middle at the bottom of your device > Ear speaker. Are you able to hear the sound being played here?

You can also try restarting your device in safe mode and make a call/do the test, just to make sure that no downloaded applications are the cause of this.

Let me know how it goes!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 31
Message 3 of 31

Re: Xz1 compact no audio through earpiece. Have to answer calls on speakerphone.

About 3-4weeks now. Tried the test but still no audio through earpiece. Haven't recently downloaded any new apps. It has updated apps which I have, but getting frustrated as the phone is only 3months old.

Thanks

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 31
Message 4 of 31

Hi again and I'm sorry to hear that there has been no change. Slightly frowning Face

In this case, I'd recommend that you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion, to rule out that this is caused by the software in your device as it will be reinstalled when performing the repair.

Do note that all data stored on your internal storage will be deleted in the process, so it's important that you create a backup using Xperia Companion before you start with the repair.

Should there be no change after completing the software repair, get in touch with your Local support team and they will arrange a repair for you.

Keep me posted!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 5 of 31
Message 5 of 31

I've been experiencing this problem for a couple of weeks and the phone is just over a month old! I've tried every recommended solution but nothing seems to be working. I've performed the test and it's said the speaker has failed. Given the phone was purchased just over a month ago, if I send this off, will I be covered by the warranty?

Thanks. 

Highlighted
Learner
Message 6 of 31
Message 6 of 31

same here, terrible.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 31
Message 7 of 31

Hello everyone, sorry for the late reply, I have been out of office due to vacation.

@Ps29, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

If you have tried performing a software repair using Xperia Companion, I would recommend that you get in touch with your Local support team, so they can arrange a repair for you as the device will need to be examined by a trained technician.

Keep me posted!

@FleyeVision, sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same behaviour. Slightly frowning Face

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting available? You can take a look at my previous replies in this thread and see if that helps.

Let me know how it goes!

One time poster
Message 8 of 31
Message 8 of 31

I have been facing the same issue from last 4 days. 

The phone is only a month old  

And I am out of UK for work. Visited local service centre and they said they can't repair because its a UK phone . Kindly help as I am out of UK for the next 2-3 months. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 31
Message 9 of 31

Hi @KR46, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

Where in the world are you at the moment? As we do not have an international warranty and the device has to be launched in the market where you want it repaired, this may be the reason that you received this reply.

You can try and get in touch with the Local support team in the country where you are working for the next 2-3 months and check directly with them as the warranty terms and so forth varies between markets/regions.

Keep me posted!

One time poster
Message 10 of 31
Message 10 of 31

Hello Everybody!

I am experiencing the same problem with my Xperia XZ1 Compact.

Judging by the numbers of complaints about this issue in this forum (including others with different titles listed in other chats) seems that this is a recurrent problem of this type of device. We should disclose it on the internet as Sony Oficial is not able to elucidate the problem or offer adequate free support for phones still under warranty. My cell phone started this problem a few months after the purchase and I live in a country without an official Sony store. I went to USA and tried to find support during my trip but I was not able to find an official Sony store in Orlando - FL (only representatives such as "Best Buy" stores without support services). Sony should make a "recall" for this XZ1 compact with this defect as they do not change the equipment under warranty.