account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XZ1 compact Freezes or restarts / reboot itself

Learner
Message 21 of 76
Message 21 of 76

Re: XZ1 compact Freezes or restarts / reboot itself

Get the some Problem... 

Crashes / Freeze almost Every Day...  Sry Sony but this is lame! 

Regular
Message 22 of 76
Message 22 of 76

Ok, so I posted before and tried to do something about it. I used Xperia companion to do a software repair (make sure u backup your data since everything is deleted, like factory resets) followed the instructions for the repair and then tried my phone. My freeze issue happened due to voice input and almost can force trigger the phone's reboot by now. After software repair I tried to spam all sorts of voice commands on gogle assistant and google search and calls and WhatsApp Voice notes, no freeze and no reboot occurred. The issue came back when I did a software update, so today I'll do another software repair and if it went back to the version before I'll avoid the software update and post a reply here again to let you know. 

Highlighted
Regular
Message 23 of 76
Message 23 of 76

@AlphaUrd wrote:

Ok, so I posted before and tried to do something about it. I used Xperia companion to do a software repair (make sure u backup your data since everything is deleted, like factory resets) followed the instructions for the repair and then tried my phone. My freeze issue happened due to voice input and almost can force trigger the phone's reboot by now. After software repair I tried to spam all sorts of voice commands on gogle assistant and google search and calls and WhatsApp Voice notes, no freeze and no reboot occurred. The issue came back when I did a software update, so today I'll do another software repair and if it went back to the version before I'll avoid the software update and post a reply here again to let you know. 

So to continue my efforts, I tried another solution I found on another forum for an older Xperia phone. Strangely, turning off auto-updates on the appstore fixed the freezing issue, I tried it and also tried turning off the "say ok Google at any time". Even if u don't use it, having it open messes up the applications voice-input features somehow. Here are the steps on how to do it:

-- Go to "Settings"

-- Scroll down and Choose "Google: services and preferences "

--  Scroll down until you find "Search" click it then look for the "voice" option and click it.

--Here you'll find the "Ok google detection"  option, click on it then you can uncheck the "Say ok google at any time".

Hope these help others since it seems these are what messes up all other applications, a Google issue rather than Sony hardware issue which made me feelso much better since I'm a faithful Sony fan. 

Message 24 of 76
Message 24 of 76

Thanks, this works for me! The issue has been largely resolved by now, I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

One time poster
Message 25 of 76
Message 25 of 76

Hi,

I disabled Google application there are few days and I haven't reboot issue anymore.

Disabling Google means disabling "Ok google detection" too, so I think you found the good fixes.

I try disabling only "Ok google dectetion".

Message 26 of 76
Message 26 of 76

Agreed.. Slightly smiling Face

Learner
Message 27 of 76
Message 27 of 76

Interesting comment on WiFi above. My phone almost always crashes when I get in my car leaving my work WiFi network and connecting to my car via Bluetooth (these tend to happen at the same time). WhatsApp video calls have also caused it to fall over.

Have switched off the Google voice setting as suggested above. 

COME ON SONY.. 

Message 28 of 76
Message 28 of 76

I have experienced few reboots on my XZ1c as well. One while I was making pictures, another while making video chat through FB Messenger and another when picking up a phone call. I have erased the data and setup my phone as new again and reboots stopped so far. 

Inhabitant
Message 29 of 76
Message 29 of 76

Did a software repair in Xperia Companion in hope of fixing the reboot problem but when I tried to restore from my backup it just stopped at about 30 %. And even with a fresh start it just rebooted now while at work connected to WiFi. What a rubbish experience...

Learner
Message 30 of 76
Message 30 of 76

I've had my XZ1 for a week, upgraded from the Z5 and now starting to wonder if I did the right thing.

I noticed that the SMS messaging app is not the Sony version (which I find was much better and can be customized better, backgrounds etc) I installed a version of that but had all kinds of issues with the phone and continual pop ups that the app had stopped working. Had to uninstall that and go with the inferior Google app.

Ive had reboot issues from day one as well as apps hanging and have tried repairing the software but to no avail.

Main culprit seems to be Google assistant, when I go to use it the app will quite often freeze and then the phone restarts.

Other issues I've noticed are GPS lag or hang, apps failing to start and have to be force closed and when making a phone call it is taking ages to start ringing. 

Sony.... What's going on?