account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZ1 and XZ1 Compact - Different image quality

Regular
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

XZ1 and XZ1 Compact - Different image quality

XZ1 and XZ1 Compact do NOT produce the same quality images. Same as with Z5 and Z5 Compact. It's a known issue that Sony is ignoring. All reviews seem to review the camera on the fullsized XZ1, which was actually really nice. But the XZ1 Compact is terrible.

With the Z3 Compact (my favorite phone) the image quality was great. But back then I remember reading that rooting the Z3 Compact would ruing the DRM which was actually involved in image processing and would consequently produce crappy images. Maybe it's an DRM problem, because XZ1 and XZ1 Compact are supposed to have identical camera.

Here is an comparison between XZ1 Compact (left) and XZ1 (right). Settings are identical. Made in Sony shop in Bangkok today:

2017-11-24 17.12.51 - Copy.jpgXZ1 Compact (left) vs XZ1 (right). Object 20 meters away. Photo zoomed in on the phone.2017-11-24 17.15.21.jpgXZ1 Compact (left) vs XZ1 (right). Object 10 meters away. Photo zoomed in on the phone.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: XZ1 and XZ1 Compact - Different image quality

Really interested to know, can you upload your photos again as they can't be viewed?

Emperor
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

@KenBKK

Could you upload the actual pictures full-res?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

Its not a real comparison 

Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

@KenBKK

You can't compare on-screen previews, simply because the XZ1 and it's compact version have different screens with different resolutions. Only full-sized images side by side comparison will show the difference.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Talent
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

And i would add that hand held indoors shots can be easily blown out with either of these 2 phones.. so its not a very scientific test..

Regular
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

I did not have the option to send images to anywhere since the phones where demos. I clearly understand that it's difficult to evaluate the quality in a photo of a phone showing the photo. Also, the demos has some setting that would delete the non-standard images as soon as the photo app was shut down.

The phone screen resolution will have little to do with anything at that zoom level.

I suggest that you guys go to a Sony shop and simply test by yourself.

But my whole point with this is that the issue seems to be same as with the Z5 vs Z5 compact.

Pioneer
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

@Keyakizaka46 wrote:

Really interested to know, can you upload your photos again as they can't be viewed?

They can be viewed, it's just that we need to wait for the moderators to approve them before they can be viewed in these forums... Until then, they'll just show up as an icon.

Anyway, as @uliwooly, @Quester and others have pointed out, you will need to upload a full-resolution image in order to get a true understanding of the quality... Photos like the ones you have uploaded can (unintentionally) be misleading for a dozen different reasons.

If you upload a full-resolution photo from your smartphone, I'm happy to get my partner to do the same with her Xperia XZ1 and we can compare them... Unless of course, one of the other Community Team members has beat me to the punch.

@Keyakizaka46 wrote:

Wait, what?

Are you talking about a smartphone you don't even own? What is the point of this post then?

As myself and others have pointed out, there's a dozen different reasons why they might look different on-screen between two different smartphone models... According to Sony, the cameras are the same and I am not aware of any information which would suggest that one is inferior to the other.

I'm sorry, but if you don't even own either of these smartphones, then I really don't see the point of your post, particularly when your technical analysis is based entirely off what you can see on-screen...

• I can't help you if you don't tell me what mobile device you're using & what version of Android it is running, in English (you can use Google Translate - http://translate.google.com).
  • The more information you can give me, the easier I can help you!
  •  Please kudo this post if you think it has been helpful; or mark it as the "solution" if it fixed your problem, so that other users facing the same issue can find the solution!
Regular
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Here is another comparison, it shows the exact same weird blurriness and fuzziness:
https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ1-Compact/Main-camera-quality-terrible/td-p/1267075

All these attempts to disprove me could be easily solved by all of you going to a Sony shop and make tests with demos. Take identical photos with the same settings. Then zoom in the pics so that the screen resolution far exceeds the resolution of the image. At that zoom level you CAN make a rough evaluation of the image resoltion.

I am very well aware that Sony says it's the same cameras. They said the same about Z5 / Z5 compact. Yet, you will find lots of complaints online about the Z5 compact being so bad that people think it's something wrong with them. Others will claim it's nothing wrong with them.

You will see similar complaints about the XZ1 Compact. Just google and you will see. 
I've (still) have Z5 compact. The images are still bad. People still tell me "it's the same camera" etc. People that have this problem get the tech specs thrown in their face, because yes, on paper it's the same camera but the results, for whatever reason, are not the same.

I have also found image comprisons between XZ1 Compact and other phones. Remember, that the XZ1-generation is supposed to have among the very best cameras. Comparing it to any smartphone camera, the XZ1 generattion should not be substancially worse.

Highlighted
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

@KenBKK

No one tries to "disprove" you, all that was asked is real photos taken under the same conditions to compare properly.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.