account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XZ1 Compact GPS is very innacurate

Learner
Message 11 of 17
Message 11 of 17

Re: XZ1 Compact GPS is very innacurate

Hiya, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it's so bad it's not working in Google maps anymore. It comes and goes. And my GPS status app isnt able to connect to any satalites but shows GPS as working. 

I'm going to format my phone I think. 

Screenshot_20190319-080753.png

Screenshot_20190319-080915.png

vsa
Apprentice
Message 12 of 17
Message 12 of 17

I've got the same GNSS problems (not just GPS, but includes GLONASS and BDS).

The fix is dropping all the time or my location is often even 50 meters away from the correct location. And when walking the location moves to about correct direction, but still stays far from my real location.

I used application called GPS Test to see the GNSS signal levels taken on same location and same time. Below you'll find levels of two Sony phones. No wonder that XZ1 Compact is so poor on positioning when the receiver is this bad.

On left is Xperia XA and on right is Xperia XZ1 Compact.

both.jpgXperia XA and Xperia XZ1C

ok, there's a problem with the photos. Here's link to imgur: GNSS Problem

Learner
Message 13 of 17
Message 13 of 17

The same problem here. My old xperia xcompact had never lost gps.

XZ1 compact has terrible receiver sensitivity. I have compared them with gps tools too and got the same result like you.. 

I have just received my XZ1compact from warranty service because it started to fall apart like my even older Z3 compact, but nothing changed.

XZ1compact is unusable with waze. It takes too long to lock gnss, and it is losing gnss lock on highway regurarly.

It is really shame that there is no other comparable phone still covered with android security updates. Look at android security bulletin, every months there are several cvss with score 8 or higher, it is dangerous to keep android  phone without security updates. 

One time poster
Message 14 of 17
Message 14 of 17

The GPS location on my xz1 compact is awful.  It's Al ost impossible to play ingress with it.  At a standstill it never stops wandering.  When you start to move it doesn't move with you but when you stop it keeps going in the direction you were traveling.  After a big update the GPS worked for a day but then went back to wandering everywhere.

Inhabitant
Message 15 of 17
Message 15 of 17

There are people who have resolved this issue with software repair (not factory reset but with Xperia Companion - Repair firmware).

Learner
Message 16 of 17
Message 16 of 17

I have tried it several times, even xperia tool does not help. It is clearly design fault and a big shame. After 6years and 3 xperias I am switching back to iphone - similar price and 3x longer sw support!

Hopefully European union will ban vendors supporting phones shorter than 5 years, soon. It is clearly just creating of electronic waste. 

Visitor
Message 17 of 17
Message 17 of 17

Interesting test on my phone:

- Start any offline map service with indication of location accuracy or an app like GPS Test

- Put phone in Airplane mode (no Wifi or cellular network): Reasonably accurate location (8-12 m) for an indoor location. Satellite strength is not impressive compared to other devices, but reasonable.

- Turn on Wifi: Satellite signal strength gets worse. Location accuracy gets slightly worse.

- Turn off Airplaine mode: Satellite signal strengt drops further. Location accuracy gets worse.

- Turn Airplane mode back on: Satellite signal strength improves and location accuracy re-established.

My thoughts are that the device either has some interference between the receiver circuits of the gps-system and the cellular network, or that the software that combines GPS-info with the Google location service is faulty. Sadly, airplane mode is not very helpful when playing location-based games.