account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

XZ1 Compact GPS is very innacurate

Apprentice
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

XZ1 Compact GPS is very innacurate

Hi, I've scoured the Internet and it seems the XZ1 is known to have GPS issues. I've had trouble with it since I bought it. Using Strava with it, it has never accurately mapped out the route. Google maps has the same issues. Has anyone actually solved this before? 

Thanks in advance 

12 REPLIES 12
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: XZ1 Compact GPS is very innacurate

Hello have you tried these suggestions
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918967-Troubleshooting-GPS-Issues?mobile_site=true

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2839911?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Apprentice
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Hi, thanks for the response, the GPS tool is really useful. It shows everything is working as far as I can tell from the results. I've now reset the GPS cache so. I will see how accurate it is from now on and report back in. Screenshot_20180331-145215.png

Apprentice
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

So all these steps haven't worked. Seens to detect OK in the GPS app but Strava is awful at keeping gps position. Might contact Strava now instead. 

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

The GPS problem is very annoying... Using maps or playing games like Ingress has become a nightmare

Apprentice
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

So I've tried another app called Wahoo Fitness suggested by Strava and it's definitely the phone. Any more advice is  much appreciated. 

Screenshot_20180412-114618.png

Screenshot_20180412-114606.png

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Can't confirm this basically.

I suggest to check the settings of the Navigation-/Tracking-App.

I use OruxMaps and within the settings there is the option to switch the time intervall of the GPS-tracking points.

Example...the track log is not as accurate straight on the streets when riding the bike compared to hiking, because of this time interval logging. In this case, it is interpolated.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

So I just tested Strava app with screen on and off and the results were smooth and accurate with screen on and all over the place once I turned the screen off.

I've given Strava permissions for location and it's set to high accuracy. I've installed the GPS Status tool which shows good results.

I tested on another app called Wahoo and had the same results of choppy gps location. 

Rookie
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

I use ViewRanger to record my walks and I suffered the same problem which I initially thought might be because I was in mature woodland. However when I altered the location settings in the Google settings to be gps only (not using mobile networks, WiFi or Bluetooth etc) the problem was solved.  I seem to remember that it was one of the ViewRanger team who told me to do this. I have since walked the same route and the track record appears to be locationaly accurate. Certainly a great improvement.

I hope this helps. 

Rookie
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Sorry to hear of your woes. 

Sadly I'm no expert and I only put my original post up because the suggestion I gave had worked well enough on my phone for my purposes. 

Perhaps you could look into purchasing a Garmin Glo to use with your phone. I've not tried this but I believe that, so long as you set it up correctly, it can produce really good results.

Good luck