account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

WiFi Calling with Three Mobile

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

WiFi Calling with Three Mobile

Three Mobile have announced their intention to drop support for their App - Three in Touch by 15 May 2019.  This app enables you to use WiFi to make calls in areas where there is a bad signal. Their reasonfor doing this, "...Wi-Fi calling is already built in to most devices these days and this function will continue to work without the need for the Three inTouch app..."  I iknow the Xperia XZ1 Compact is compatible with WiFi Callling, but the options aren't readily available on the phone until they are enabled by the mobile network provider. So I called Three Mobile to ask them to do this, and they said, that I didn't buy my phone from them (I bought it from Carphone Warehouse and am on a SIM only contract) and therefore they couldn't enable it. He then proceeded to try and sell me a brand new phone which came with Wifi calling!  I'm perfectly happy with my XZ1 Compact, thank you!

So it is possible for Sony to enable Wifi calling, or for us to download updated firmware which would do this? Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: WiFi Calling with Three Mobile

Hi @ladams!

Both VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling is a bit tricky as it in most cases requires your device to have an operator-customised software and this is most likely why the Three answered the way they did regarding that it has to be bought directly from them, or bought from a retailer that has the Three customized software in the device and not a "generic" one for your market.

If the operator has not enabled VoWi-Fi for your device with your customization, the option for it will not show up in the device. As the operator is the one deciding if this should be enabled or not, I'm afraid that I can't answer if this will be available for your customization using this specific operator, as your operator will need to answer this for you.

If it will not be available for your customization, you can always have a look with other operators in your market and see if there is any difference there and if it will work fine with a generic customization, or if it also needs to be an operator-customised software for it to work with them.

I hope that helps a bit at least! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Regular
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

I was in a similar position with Three when they stopped the InTouch app. My research suggested that Threes wifi calling wouldn't work with my sim free XZ1C.

I therefore swapped to Vodafone and it works great. I also tried my wife's EE sim, and that also worked. 

The funny thing is that Vodafones coverage is better in my village, so I don't actually need WiFi calling now! 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Anjomi, that's awesome to hear and it sounds like neither Vodafone or EE requires a specific customization of the software/firmware to be able to use this service in their networks.

I'm also happy to hear that the network coverage is better with your new operator and it never hurts to have an "extra" option available, in your case Wi-Fi calling! Slightly smiling Face

Have a great day! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Mine has worked fine on my wee Compact on the Vodafone UK network.