account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Why Is My Phone Turning On?

Talent
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Why Is My Phone Turning On?

Example:

Last night I plugged in my phone (power) next to my bed and started an audiobook using my Bluetooth headset..

I tapped the power button to blank the screen.

I listened to the book for a while, then tapped the button on the headset to stop the book.

I have been following this very procedure nearly every night for years, through three phones, and never experienced the following.

I awoke at 3 or 4 AM and saw that the screen saver was blaring brightly.  The screen was blank when I stopped the book.  I tapped the power button to  turn off the screen.

Then at 6 AM I saw that the phone was on and displaying the Home screen.  I tapped the power button and it turned off.  Then 15 or 20 minutes later it was on again and again I tapped the power button to turn it off.

What could be causing this?

Also, this was no the first time, two nights ago I found it displaying the Home screen also.

Who knows how many things go on while I'm sleeping?

15 REPLIES 15
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: Why Is My Phone Turning On?

Hi @PeteCal, I am sorry to hear about this.

It's very strange. I recommend you test your phone in safe mode mode so we can identify if it is a third party app or not

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Talent
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

Got it.

I think I will see how often it happens so I can get a feel if Safe Mode has any effect.

I did install an app recently.  I might Uninstall it instead of Safe Mode once I get the feel.

Talent
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

This is what happened this morning.  I left the phone on the nightstand next to the bed and it was plugged in to power.

The screen was dark but when I sat up it came on.  I didn't touch it or shake the stand.  I swiped left and saw that the phone was locked.  I have Smart Lock set to stay open when near home (which I was).  Somewhere I saw that if there is no activity for 4 hours it will lock.

I didn't unlock it and soon the screen saver came on.

What is going on?  Did it detect something about me getting up?  Why did the blank screen turn on?

Help please.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

Was your phone in Safemode at the time @PeteCal?

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Talent
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

I don't think it was in Safemode but I'm not sure what Safemode is.  It isn't mentioned in the Xperia manual.  I see Android phones have one that is thee result of problems (dropping in toilet).

I don't think anything like that is happpening.  At bed time I put it on the charger, connect my BT headphones, start the audiobook.  Then I tap the side button to blank the screen.

When I am done listening I tap the button on the headphones and playback stops.

I have been doing it this way for years but it never turned on like it is now. 

Note, "Trusted Voice" is turned off.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

safe mode starts your phone without any third party apps loaded. It's a way to test whether or not the issue is caused by third party apps.

You can find the steps on getting your phone into safe mode here: 

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/td-p/348008/jump-to/first-un...

Talent
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

Thanks for the link.

I have too much going on right now to run without apps.

I hope to get to that some time.

In the mean time, has anybody identified any apps that might not be compatible with the Xperia?

Talent
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

I still don't have the time to track this down because the effect is so intermittent.

I woke up at 4:15 this morning ans saw the screensaver blaring at me.  I tapped the side button.

I got up a few hours later and just looked at the phone.  The screen came on without any noise or action on my part. 

Is there an app that logs what state the phone is in?  If there was I might find out this is happening all through the night.  Then I could disable apps going backward in time and see if it stops.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

What are the apps that you have installed on your phone?