account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Volume key only changing media sound

Visitor
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Volume key only changing media sound

Hi there,

I've had this phone for about a month now, and it's exceptionally buggy. Disregarding the fact it reboots every day (I can see other topics on that already), I'm having trouble with my volume button.

Recently, even with all apps closed, and not present on any music or video, my volume button adjusts the media volume instead of the ringtone volume. This has left me in some awkward situations when my phone goes off, even though I thought I had put it on silent!

I can't find anywhere to adjust what my volume button automatically does???

Please help!

5 REPLIES 5
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Volume key only changing media sound

I actually wanted the described behaviour, but I needed to install software to do that.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hahaha, shall we swap phones?! xD

Pioneer
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Hi @alish1,

Can you please try to run your smartphone in Safe Mode and see if it still behaves this way?

• I can't help you if you don't tell me what mobile device you're using & what version of Android it is running, in English (you can use Google Translate - http://translate.google.com).
  • The more information you can give me, the easier I can help you!
  •  Please kudo this post if you think it has been helpful; or mark it as the "solution" if it fixed your problem, so that other users facing the same issue can find the solution!
Learner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

My XZ1 compact does  the same. I press the volume button, and it adjusts  the media volume, despite no apps being open. If I click on the arrow and select ringtone, I can then adjust it. However next time I press volume, it's back to media! Help! 

Learner
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

I booted up in safe  mode, then restarted  normally, and it seems to have sorted it out.