account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

T9 keyboard

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

T9 keyboard

My Xperia Z3 Compact had a T9 keyboard which was perfect for this size phone. However it was missing on the X. Is it still on the XZ1C? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: T9 keyboard

I don't think it comes preloaded, as Sony phones currently come with SwiftKey keyboard that doesn't have a T9 layout. that said, there are tons of keyboard apps in Play Store with different layout and features, so you should be able to find one that suits your needs.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

I don't think it comes preloaded, as Sony phones currently come with SwiftKey keyboard that doesn't have a T9 layout. that said, there are tons of keyboard apps in Play Store with different layout and features, so you should be able to find one that suits your needs.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Thanks! I did hunt around for one for my X but couldn't work out how to activate it after I installed it.

I like swift key on the X but always struggled with qwerty on my Z3C. 

Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

some keyboards have setup wizards that lead you through the needed steps when you tap the icon of the downloaded app.

if the keyboard that you've downloaded doesn't show on your list of apps, go to Settings > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Manage keyboards > and enable the toggle next to the name of the keyboard you downloaded. then go back to the Manage keyboards screen where you should be able to set it as default.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

SONY keyboard is the best

Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

@rajuxperia wrote:

SONY keyboard is the best

except it isn't being updated anymore, and is set as incompatible with my XZ Premium in Play Store and I assume it's going to be the same for XZ1. sure, you can still get it from APKMirror, but since it's not being maintained anymore, you're bound to encounter some bugs sooner or later.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

I liked the Sony keyboard too. Getting used to Swiftkey for now :-)

Learner
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

The real answer is yes.  My XZ1 Compact is on firmware version 47.1.A.12.179 (customized UK), and you can still get the super awesome Sony T9 keyboard working.  The workaround to this is as follows (this is for 47.A.12.179, similar path for older versions of firmware):

1. Settings > System > Languages & input

2. On-screen keyboard

3. Manage keyboards

4. Enable either "Xperia Chinese keyboard" or "Xperia Japanese keyboard".

5. Go to your favorite Messaging app or whatever.

6. Find the key on the keyboard that shows the language with a little cog wheel for settings.  Click that button till EN is shown.

7. Hold down the same button to bring up the Settings screen.  Select Phonepad.

Voila!  Original Sony Xperia T9 keyboard!

Only problem is that if you're already used to the older Sony phones with Android 7.1.1 and below where the default behavior of selecting a predictive word is always followed by a space character added to the end, now with the workaround, the default is similar to the original Nokia T9, where selecting a word doesn't add a space character.

It took me so long to get used to this extra space character when my final Nokia 808 died and I switched to Z3C and then Z5C.  Now I have to unlearn that and revert to the original Nokia T9.  LOL

Please feel free to mark my reply as the real solution.  =)

[Edit:  On the newer phones "without" T9, automatically adding the space character after selecting a predicted word is possible.  After enabling and activating the Xperia Chinese/Japanese keyboard, hold the language/cog wheel key on the keyboard > Settings > English text input settings > Automatic space.  This wasn't toggle-able on the Xperia keyboards on 7.1.1 and below.]

Rookie
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

@Nokia 808: Thank you!! Thank you! THANK YOU!! This acctually works on my XZ2 Compact!! <3

After a bit of fumbling back and forth between the Chineese and English keyboard and changing input settings a couple of times, this acctually works!! Grinning Face

To all of you with the same problem, you should at least try out Nokia 808´s solution. I followed it, but as I said I had to go back and fort between Chineese and English settings and change input method +++ I am so sorry that I can´t account for the specific steps, cause I am too scared to redo it since it works now... Best of luck with your T9 keyboard! Slightly smiling Face