account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Send mms without activating data traffic

Adept
Message 11 of 15
Message 11 of 15

Re: Send mms without activating data traffic

Recently, I change carrier.
With the previous one, I needed to turn on mobile data to receive MMS.
Currently, I don't need it.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 12 of 15
Message 12 of 15

Hi @xperia_pro!

You might experience that you cannot send or receive MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) on your Xperia device running on Android 8.0 (Oreo), without enabling mobile data. This is by design. However, some network operators allow sending MMS without enabling mobile data.

So there is a change in Android Oreo (same rule applies to Android Pie as well) compared to previous Android versions, but some operators still allow you to send MMS without enabling mobile data, as @rhayy wrote.

You can also check with the operator that your mother is using and see if there is anything they can change on their side.

I hope that answers your question!

@rhayy, thank you for this information! Slightly smiling Face

Have a great day!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 13 of 15
Message 13 of 15

OK, thanks for checking. I just updated the XZ1c to Android 9. I'll guess it's "by design" in this version too, because MMS does not work with mobile data OFF (same SIM card that works in a Z3c/Android 6).

(A note: Going from Android 8 to 9, it also lost the "Smart Call handling" , i.e. answering by rising phone to ear, unless it is hidden somewhere because I can't find that setting.)

Pioneer
Message 14 of 15
Message 14 of 15

Hi @xperia_pro ;

For the Smart Call Handling try going to Phone app>top right 3 dots menu>Settings>Calls or Call Accounts (if Dual SIM)>Select SIM (if Dual SIM)>Smart Call Handling (it should be the first option).

Sony Xperia Support
Message 15 of 15
Message 15 of 15

Hi again @xperia_pro!

Yeah, it's the same in Android Pie and regarding the Smart call handling feature, you can find this if you open up the Phone application > tap the three dots in the top right corner > Settings > Calls > "Smart call handling", as @NunoSEN2 mentioned.

In Android 8 and Android 9, the call settings are no longer available directly in the Settings menu of the device, so you need to open them through the phone application.

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.