account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Send mms without activating data traffic

Learner
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Send mms without activating data traffic

Is there a way of sending and receiving mms without activating data traffic? All my previous phones both sent and received mms without having data traffic turned on. 

14 REPLIES 14
Commissioner
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Send mms without activating data traffic

MMS is a mobile network feature so yes you have to have mobile data activated to send / receive (unless your mobile network has deployed VoWiFi and enabled MMS as a feature on it).

Learner
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

Is there an app that activates mobile data when I want to send/receive mms?

Commissioner
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

You'd need to check the Play store although I couldn't find anything at a quick glance.

If you aren't going to use mobile data whatsoever for anything other than MMS you could delete all the other APN profiles, leaving just the MMS one (assuming your network provider has different profiles for internet and MMS). This way you could leave mobile data switched on as only MMS will have access. Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile network > Access point names

Apprentice
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

On my Z3 Compact I can send and receive MMS (picture) when both Mobile Data and WiFi are turned off (android v6). That does not seem to work on the XZ1 Compact (android 8). Is MMS handled differently on these models?

Emperor
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

@xperia_pro 

Not quite, is that phone network branded? I remember that back in the days I had an AT&T branded phone and even without a data plan I was able to send and receive MMS bc it was part of the contract, unlimited MMS, in other words mobile data was "off" but in reality it was forced-enabled by the carrier whenever I send/received a MMS

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

None of the Z3 Compact or XZ1 Compact were baught "branded". They use different providers (but not easily swapped for testing due different sized SIMs). A strange thing on the XZ1c is that it is not enough to activate WiFi. With WiFi active (confirmed working with Google Play) and Mobile Data Off, only the text part of an MMS is received directly while a waiting rotating symbol is shown for the picture. I waited many minutes before activating Mobile Data, then the (50kByte) picture was downloaded immediately. This behaviour is the same if I send the MMS from the Z3c either with WiFi and Mobile Data both off or both on.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

My memory failed (its a nano-SIM also in the Z3c), so now I have tested with swapped providers in ZX1c and Z3c. The test shows that the provider does not matter. The Z3c can still send MMS with both WiFi and Mobile Data OFF. The XZ1c needs Mobile Data active to send the MMS. Nothing arrives at Z3c (with WiFi ON) until I activated Mobile Data.

Emperor
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

@xperia_pro 

This is quite interesting, I'll escalate this

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

I can add that also Xperia E5 (F3311) kan receive MMS with picture while keeping both WiFi and Mobile Data OFF.

I can give some background to why the XZ1c is a dissapointment:

I bought the XZ1 Compact for my Mother as a replacement for the Xperia E5 I first bought. The E5 is lacking the smart call handling (answer by lifting the phone to the ear, which is a great feature for my mother). The XZ1c has that but is missing the MMS capability whithout causing extra data fees. (I have tried to block as much data traffic as I can find both "in backround" and remove apps from the "unlimited" list but it still logs data traffic (in standby and without receiving MMS).