account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

SMS / messages app not working

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

SMS / messages app not working

I have got the Xperia xz1 a few days ago and now even Android 9 has been installed. But I've also noticed that I cannot receive or send SMS via the messages app. Phone calls work fine at the same time.

I have seen this topic here, but I'd like to ask, which privileges this app needs exactly. How could I fix this issue with the mysterious Companion Programm, while I have Linux based PCs only?

Any other hint? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Re: SMS / messages app not working

Hi @MalF-bair, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

Xperia Companion is only available for Windows and Mac, however there are a few more things that you can try before trying to get a hold of another computer.

Are you able to send and receive text messages using another sms application? If you search for "sms application" in the Google Play store there should be a couple of different applications to choose from.

You can also try with a different SIM card in the device, either if you get a new one from your operator, or if you can borrow one from a friend, colleague or family member and try sending a SMS to that number, to see if it works to both send and receive.

Let us know how it goes!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

@MalF-bair

My Messages app has the following permissions enabled: Camera, Contacts, Microphone, Phone, SMS, and Storage.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Try to force restart your phone(power button+vol up until the phone vibrates).You might want to try clearing data for messages in settings-apps-all,but backup your messages before.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Thanks! Unfortunately this did not help yet. 

Apprentice
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

I've checke and here the messages app has the same privileges.

So I'm kind of out of options. Any idea regarding this Companion app? 

Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

@MalF-bair

You can perform a software repair using Xperia Companion. This will do a clean installation of the latest firmware and will also wipe your internal memory. Don't forget to backup using the same Companion, but preferably without adding apps or settings to the backup.

The link above contains a detailed guide.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

As far as I can see, this is available for Windows and Mac only. So - I have Linux PCs only - I will see how I can achieve this. Do you know, what the actual problem could be? Some broken software (regarding updates / versions)? Should I file a bug somewhere?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Hi @MalF-bair, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

Xperia Companion is only available for Windows and Mac, however there are a few more things that you can try before trying to get a hold of another computer.

Are you able to send and receive text messages using another sms application? If you search for "sms application" in the Google Play store there should be a couple of different applications to choose from.

You can also try with a different SIM card in the device, either if you get a new one from your operator, or if you can borrow one from a friend, colleague or family member and try sending a SMS to that number, to see if it works to both send and receive.

Let us know how it goes!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Thanks! I did not know, that I can use any SMS / messaging app! Obviously I'm quite outdated, but still ready to learn. Slightly smiling Face

So I've installed a different and simple messaging-app and this one works perfectly for me.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Hi again @MalF-bair, you're very welcome! Slightly smiling Face

That is one of the parts that is so great about Android, that you can easily download another application that does the same thing as the pre-installed one but it may look a bit different, have some different settings that are more suited towards how you  want to use it or in your case, it works! Slightly smiling Face

Let me know if there is anything I can assist you with and have a great Monday!