account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

SD Card Issues

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 21 of 33
Message 21 of 33

Re: SD Card Issues

Hi, i've tried your method but it didn't work for me.. what do you suggest to do? i've tride to format exfat before the reset but it didn't work.

Apprentice
Message 22 of 33
Message 22 of 33

You could try a new sd card or perhaps try to remove the partition from the card before doing the hard reset via the Sony tools. 

Apprentice
Message 23 of 33
Message 23 of 33

Follow-Up:

One reason this might pop up again is enabling sd card encryption.

I dug around trying to debug this and found that the API calls to get a list of available storage paths (getExternalFilesDirs) just returns one entry -> /storage/emulated/0/...  which is your internal storage. The sdcard is completly gone now.

I do get a warning during that call though:

"Failed to ensure /storage/{MY_SD_CARD_UUID}/... due to removable external storage file-encryption has been executed."

I think if that warning wouldn't pop up, I probably get a second entry in the API Call and Apps can select the sdcard as storage again.

Maybe somebody will find anything.

Apprentice
Message 24 of 33
Message 24 of 33

Hi, i've solved the problem and now i have sd acces in all the app i want. But could you transfer data app  in the sd card? In the app info, in storage, there are no more the possibility to choose where to save the app data of some app like real racing. Or when you go to the storage menu, in transfer to sd, there are only photo,video and music, and there isn't app no more.

Commissioner
Message 25 of 33
Message 25 of 33

Unless I am mistaken, I believe that it is no longer possible (since at least Android 8.0 6.0) to store apps and app internal resources on the SD card. I think you can only store images, video, audio files, text and other documents that can accessed independently.

[Edited to correct information]

Apprentice
Message 26 of 33
Message 26 of 33

With 6.0 and 7.0 you can still do it, With 8.0 you can't and if i knew before purchasing a 32 gb model it would have affected my choice...

It's unbelievable that one of the android's strong point, the sd support, has been removed for all the customers without warning.

One time poster
Message 27 of 33
Message 27 of 33

Hi, I got the same problem with my phone and Memory, one question 

After doing this procedure I could activate again the encryption or this should be avoided?

Have you tried that?

One time poster
Message 28 of 33
Message 28 of 33

I tried it - and had the same problem all over again.  I think that is what caused the problem in the first place.

Apprentice
Message 29 of 33
Message 29 of 33

Just want to add that with the latest xperia system update the sd card worked again.

One time poster
Message 30 of 33
Message 30 of 33

HI Shoemaker, that sounds promising, what version is the update you got?