account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

SD Card Issues

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 33
Message 1 of 33

SD Card Issues

Hi,

I would like to know if any other people using the XZ1 Compact (+Android 8.0) experience funky behaviour regarding their sd card in apps like Spotify, Netflix, Google Play Music, ...?

For example: Spotify doesnt even recognize the sd card. So downloads just hit the phones storage with no option to select the sd card. Netflix has the identical issue; I can only select internal. Google Play Music lets me at least choose the SD card in their settings but the moment I pick the sd card option the app just crashes.

Amazon Music displays the sd card but with a capacity of 0.0 GB (even though it was formatted a second ago). 

Things like the camera app saves the data to the sd card as expected when I changed the setting.

What is going on here? Is this a known issue? Anyone else experiencing this behaviour?

Byebye

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Apprentice
Message 7 of 33
Message 7 of 33

Re: SD Card Issues

What I've done so far:

• Set the storage permission manually
  • Reformat within the phone settings (multiple times)
  • Uninstalling - Wiping App Data - Reinstalling
  • (Re-)Partition the sd card with exFat (I use a SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC Class 10, U1, A1, FFP)

The usual stuff which did not solve anything.

Initial setup was, that I've got the phone brand new and let it boot up without the SD card then do the setup bits. Then insert the brand new sd card and let it format thru the phone. Enable sd card encryption. Which lead to the situation mentioned above (card is not recognized at all)

What I've done now is to factory reset the phone with the sd card inserted and boot and setup the phone with the sd card in place this time. Then format it again thru the phone (I have not activated sd card encryption yet) and all of a sudden spotify, netflix, ... work with the sd card just as expected.

So perhaps one of you, who experience the same thing, might want try out if this is reproduceable.

• Keep the sd card in the phone
  • Factory reset (I did it via the Xperia companion desktop software)
  • Boot it up again
  • Format SD Card

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
Talent
Message 2 of 33
Message 2 of 33

My sandisk class 10 64 card is just fine. Sportfy recognizes it and an my music are all in sd card. try formating your card on the phone...

Learner
Message 3 of 33
Message 3 of 33

I am also having the same issue. Spotify, Audible, Player.fm...

Only the camera has been able to save to it.

I've tried formatting several times on the phone and on PC.

Apprentice
Message 4 of 33
Message 4 of 33

My sd card works fine with Amazon Music. Cannot check others. SD was used in Z5c before and not re-formated again.

Is it recognized by XZ1c System? Did  you grant access rights for these Apps? 

One time poster
Message 5 of 33
Message 5 of 33

I'm experiencing the same crash in Google Play Music with a 256GB SanDisk class 10.

Reformatted several times in the phone with no success.

Talent
Message 6 of 33
Message 6 of 33

tryto grant permission on the app

Apprentice
Message 7 of 33
Message 7 of 33

What I've done so far:

• Set the storage permission manually
  • Reformat within the phone settings (multiple times)
  • Uninstalling - Wiping App Data - Reinstalling
  • (Re-)Partition the sd card with exFat (I use a SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC Class 10, U1, A1, FFP)

The usual stuff which did not solve anything.

Initial setup was, that I've got the phone brand new and let it boot up without the SD card then do the setup bits. Then insert the brand new sd card and let it format thru the phone. Enable sd card encryption. Which lead to the situation mentioned above (card is not recognized at all)

What I've done now is to factory reset the phone with the sd card inserted and boot and setup the phone with the sd card in place this time. Then format it again thru the phone (I have not activated sd card encryption yet) and all of a sudden spotify, netflix, ... work with the sd card just as expected.

So perhaps one of you, who experience the same thing, might want try out if this is reproduceable.

• Keep the sd card in the phone
  • Factory reset (I did it via the Xperia companion desktop software)
  • Boot it up again
  • Format SD Card

View solution in original post

Learner
Message 8 of 33
Message 8 of 33

Yeah, doing a factory reset with the SD card inside fixed it for me.

I'm a bit annoyed about having to set things up again, but hey, at least it was fixable.

Talent
Message 9 of 33
Message 9 of 33

Another thing guys, on developer hidden menu, there is a option to enable "force permission on external SD card".

That might also helps for those who has problems...

Learner
Message 10 of 33
Message 10 of 33

Hi, I have a little problem with my sd card too. I have a SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC Class 10, previously used in a Z3 compact, I reformatted it before installing in the XZ1 compact. I put the sd card in the phone before using it for the first time, and than I formatted it again in the XZ1 compact.  

I set the camera app to save videos and pics directly on the sd card, but when I end recording a video it often says that sd card is not available. The video is actually saved on the sd card, but the app cannot display the little preview on the bottom, and after that at times I can't use the app to take other pictures or videos because it says that the sd card cannot be found. I have to restart the camera app, and at times the error pops up again before recording or taking pictures.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

I have no problem saving videos from Netflix directly to the sd card, or listening to music I saved in it, so I think it could be a problem of the camera app.