account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Quick questions, quick replies; ask anything about the Xperia XZ1 Compact!

Commissioner
Message 51 of 166
Message 51 of 166

Re: Quick questions, quick replies; ask anything about the Xperia XZ1 Compact!

@elsayyid, I'm also in the USA and am in the exact same situation with regard to updates. I do hope we won't always be the very last to receive updates. I suspect, although I don't know for sure of course, that Sony does not prioritize the updates for the USA firmware because the market (based on number of XZ1C handsets sold) is perhaps relatively small compared to other places.

Inhabitant
Message 52 of 166
Message 52 of 166

Should be more USA (T-Mobile) customers now that we're through Christmas.  And by customers, I mean Ex-Nokia customers, amiright?

Sony people, any ETA?  Vague is ok (days/weeks/months)?

Kind of like my pizza order tonight... I know it's cold out, but they told me 1.5 hrs which is a really long time for a pizza, but because they told me and then it came in 1.4 hours, I'm happy.

Edit:

Just to reiterate, looking for two things here:

1) The fix that was released for the distorted camera

2) Android security update newer than August (it's January now)

While I'm here, some nice to haves:

3) Double tap to wake

4) "Sleeping screen"... maybe not realistic without OLED

5) Notification of whether "Charging" or "Fast Charging"

6) Fingerprint sensor...

Pretty happy with the stereo sound of this thing so far... also the PS4 streaming is pretty slick.

Inhabitant
Message 53 of 166
Message 53 of 166

Is it necesarry to factory reset the phone after update? Thanks!

Dorian Diaconu
Commissioner
Message 54 of 166
Message 54 of 166

@doriandiaconu wrote:

Is it necesarry to factory reset the phone after update? Thanks!

No.

One time poster
Message 55 of 166
Message 55 of 166

Hi guys, just a quick question.. I've been searching for info on the water resistance and can't seem to find a straight forward answer. I know it has the 68code for dust and water but do you have to have a water proof case of its it the actual phone that is water resistant. On Sony 's home page it says "don't worry about rain etc"  but that's not like "yes you can drop your phone in the bath and it's OK!" so can anyone enlighten me please? =) 

Commissioner
Message 56 of 166
Message 56 of 166

@Conichiwa wrote:

Hi guys, just a quick question.. I've been searching for info on the water resistance and can't seem to find a straight forward answer. I know it has the 68code for dust and water but do you have to have a water proof case of its it the actual phone that is water resistant. On Sony 's home page it says "don't worry about rain etc"  but that's not like "yes you can drop your phone in the bath and it's OK!" so can anyone enlighten me please? =) 

You can find what the IP breakdown means here: http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

In the case of the XZ1 Compact (without a case) the water resistance is stated as up to 1.5m of water for a maximum of 30 minutes.

How much you want to trust that is up to you - I had an IP67 rated Sony back in 2014 which I regularly washed under the tap after going to the beach which stopped functioning. When it was sent for repair I was told the fault was due to liquid ingress which would not be covered by the warranty Slightly frowning Face

Regular
Message 57 of 166
Message 57 of 166

The rating is good for fresh water, not salt water. So don't expect to take your phone for a swim In the ocean and have it working afterwards. 

Regular
Message 58 of 166
Message 58 of 166

Well, it's really frustrating. Especially now with the whole Spectre/Meltdown issue. 

At this point, I feel like flashing UK firmware, because it's clear that Sony Mobile USA doesn't care about its customers. At least I would get a functioning fingerprint scanner. However, I really don't want to lose the certification for T-Mo's network. 

One time poster
Message 59 of 166
Message 59 of 166

Another frustrated US ZX1C owner here. I bought Sony because they seemed to be good about pushing out timely updates to their phones and I like the compact form-factor. If this sort of delay is going to be the norm then I will definatly be shopping elsewhere for my next phone. I'll accept a slightly too-big handset if that's what it takes to get good software support.

Learner
Message 60 of 166
Message 60 of 166

Hi,

Which microsd memory card would support 4K shooting best? Especially slow motion video. I was thinking about microSDXC 98 or 128 G. Which speed and class?

Now I use Samsung micro sdHc 32G. Inside the house, the source light flickers in the video.