account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Proximity sensor ON in Lock Screen - IR LED visibly strobes

SOLVED
Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Proximity sensor ON in Lock Screen - IR LED visibly strobes

Firmware: 47.1.A.2.324 (Customized US)

I noticed this on XZ1 first, but XZ1 Compact also has this issue.

If you have a PIN set, go to a sufficiently dark room and press the power button to show the PIN pad. You should see an IR LED light up on the right side of the speaker grill.

Once you enter the PIN, the LED turns off.

Logs show that pSensor gets enabled and reacts to me covering the sensor:

W/qti_sensors_hal(909): Thresh::processInd: Proximity Status 0.0, A/D 0x006c( 108)
D/TransmitPower(2238): PSensorObserver:onPSensorStateChanged() : isNear = false
D/TransmitPower(2238): PSensorObserver:onPSensorStateChanged() : isNear = false
W/qti_sensors_hal(909): Thresh::processInd: Proximity Status 1.0, A/D 0x01a5( 421)
W/qti_sensors_hal(909): Thresh::processInd: Proximity Status 0.0, A/D 0x00c6( 198)

Does anybody else see this? Does anybody know why this is happening? The logs don't show that camera gets enabled (e.g. for face unlock, if it was implemented), and the phone does not change its behavior whether the sensor is covered or not.

No longer using XZ1C
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pioneer
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Proximity sensor ON in Lock Screen - IR LED visibly strobes

Wow, I should have tested it more. This thing prevents screen intereaction if it detects an object in close proximity (e.g. in a pocket).

No longer using XZ1C

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pioneer
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Wow, I should have tested it more. This thing prevents screen intereaction if it detects an object in close proximity (e.g. in a pocket).

No longer using XZ1C

View solution in original post

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

That still leaves the question if you can actually turn that off.

Pioneer
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Not sure why one would want to, uness the sensor service gets stuck (but that is another issue altogether). During a month with XZ1* devices I had no issues related to the proximity sensor.

No longer using XZ1C
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Well, it's basically useless to me since I exclusively unlock with the power button.
Plus it drains battery. May be almost nothing, may be not a lot, but it does.

Pioneer
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

I have a PIN, so avoiding accidental pin entry is quite useful. I have also been able to do an unattended factory reset of my Nexus 5 while biking, so I think this is a good feature in XZ1.

However, does XZ1/Compact enable proximity sensor even when PIN or password is not set up?

No longer using XZ1C