account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Please, for the love of god, implement Night Light (blue-light blocking)!

Apprentice
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Please, for the love of god, implement Night Light (blue-light blocking)!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is built into Oreo now, isn't it? So why don't we have it?

Third party apps do not work on the lock screen or the notification drawer. It's kind of pointless to have blue-light blocking when I get blinded by blue and white every time I turn my screen on or pull down the drawer.

5 REPLIES 5
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Please, for the love of god, implement Night Light (blue-light blocking)!

There's a pretty simple way to activate it.

I suggest looking trough the XDA forum, there's threads for that.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link these here.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Does it require root? If so, I don't have it. I did see something about activating System UI tuner, but I did and I didn't see any option for night light in there.

Pioneer
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

I can’t understand this topic from Sony. I had this mode included in Xperia Actions in my XA1, but Sony deliberatery removed it (along with another features) in Oreo update.

Anyway, you can try this:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2018/03/22/enable-night-light-mode-if-youre-running-the-march-2018-securit...

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

No, it doesn't require root.

Thanks for the person above/below me for posting the link Slightly smiling Face

Apprentice
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the link; I followed all the instructions and got the Night Light tile enabled, but it doesn't actually change the color of my screen:

Screenshot_20180429-142123.png

Edit: Actually, I restarted and it's working now--except even when it's "off," it's slightly reddish (which I've seen people complain about online). I can change that by going into the white balance in the Display settings, but I hope I don't have to do that every morning now.

Edit2: Further updates with the ADB enabled Night Light. It is nowhere NEAR dark enough, even with the brightness all the way down, nor does it filter blue light properly. It just puts a yellow filter on everything. Not sure if that's how it would work on a phone that properly used Night Light by default, but I've seen my husband's flasghip Google phone do it with a lot less blue. More importantly, though, it never fully resets to normal white balance without me manually entering the white balance editor, even if I manually turn Night Light off. Overall, it's not ideal. I've gone back to using a third-party app, and being mildly blinded by my notification drawer, navigation buttons, and lock screen. Please implement a better Night Light for XZ1 users, Sony.