account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Phone mic not working on xz1 compact

Sony Xperia Support
Message 21 of 28
Message 21 of 28

Re: Phone mic not working on xz1 compact

Hi @Gorgan51, that is very good news and I do really hope that it continues to work as it should.

If you have the service papers available, was the microphone replaced, or what did the service centre do with the device?

Thank you! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 22 of 28
Message 22 of 28

Hi @jonas,  this was what I received when I got the phone back. 1554835869549991908132069449086.jpg

Apprentice
Message 23 of 28
Message 23 of 28

I don't know why the pic has not uploaded but the main thing it says is 

Diagnosis performed : fault resolved  

Very vague. 

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 24 of 28
Message 24 of 28

Hi again @Gorgan51!

The picture was rejected due to it having your IMEI number showing and as this is personal information, which is not allowed here at our forum, for  privacy reasons, the picture was not approved.

I had a look at the picture now and I'm quite confused as well, as it mentions "parts replaced" and then "stickers (3)", so I'm not really sure what they did, but at least it's working now and that is what counts! Slightly smiling Face

Thanks again and I do really hope that it will continue to function as it is supposed to do from here on out!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Regular
Message 25 of 28
Message 25 of 28

I'm having the same issue.

The mic gain became super-low after a couple of weeks into using this phone. No software repair could fix that. Couldn't use Sony Service, because I'm in another country now. Used local repair shop.

They were trying to fix it for more than a month. New mics would just die after an hour or so. In the end I assume they just turned off the noise-cancelling. Not sure how, because I performed a couple of software resets after that and their fix is still active. The mic works now, but people I talk to can hear themselves. I'll have to bring the phone back in for additional fixes.

I'm really upset with Sony not giving any feedback on this, because I see that this issue is not a rare thing and a considerable amount of people across the globe claim to have it.

Is there a way to actually fix this issue?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 26 of 28
Message 26 of 28

Hi @rckt, very sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

It's very hard to say what the exact cause is, but in your case it's more than likely the hardware, but since I haven't examined an Xperia device (all repairs are done by technicians) so I'm not sure if you they can turn off the noise-cancelling or not with the hardware, but there is no software option for it as it is always turned on in later Android versions.

It could also be that a local repair shop that isn't authorized by Sony are not experts on this kind of behaviour and aren't 100% sure how to handle it. I understand that if you are abroad it's not easy getting hold of an authorized service centre.

There are a few users in the thread who had it fixed at an authorized service centre, but I'm not quite sure what part(s) were replaced to have it solved.

Make sure that nothing is blocking the microphone, or that there is any dirt or moisture in the microphone "hole" at the bottom of the device.

Feel free to keep me posted after you have brought the phone back to the repair shop.

Regular
Message 27 of 28
Message 27 of 28

So, no success yet in solving this issue.

Got the phone back from the repairshop. The gain is still low, but now it is possible to actually make calls. Looks like the noise cancelling algorithms work in a weird way.

I can clearly hear all the inner noises like bumping on the case, rubbing it, and any noise that can come from the phone itself, even tapping on the screen. But when I start speaking, my voice is just partially swallowed, the gain varies from kind of OK to really low. The only way to make it work, put a hand near the mic, so more sound would go to the mic itself.

Would be great to find a fix for this super strange software/hardware bug.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 28 of 28
Message 28 of 28

Hi again @rckt, sorry for the late reply, I was home in bed with fever last week. Slightly frowning Face

Well, it's hard to say what they have done and since it's a local repair shop and not an authorized service centre, I'm not quite sure how experienced they are with all phone models, so my best advice would be to have it sent to an authorized service centre so a technician can examine the device and make sure that the microphone is working as it should.

It does however sound very strange and not something that I ever experienced myself when using the Xperia XZ1 Compact, so it should not be the software that is the cause.

To have it sent to an authorized service centre, get in touch with the Local support team and they will help you with that.