account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Phone mic not working on xz1 compact

Apprentice
Message 11 of 24
Message 11 of 24

Re: Phone mic not working on xz1 compact

Hi I have the same problem with microphone not working .. People on other end can't hear me talking. Although when I do the microphone test it plays back perfect . Any suggestions . Thanks. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 12 of 24
Message 12 of 24

Hi @Gorgan51, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

I just want to make sure, you are not using the speaker phone function when you are making calls right? As then the second microphone will be used.

Since the microphone works fine in the test, you can try and restart your device in safe mode, so we can see if any of your downloaded applications is the cause of this. They will be temporarily disabled in this mode.

If you have easy access to a different SIM card, such as borrowing one from a friend, colleague or family member, you can also try using their SIM card and see if the counterpart can hear you during a call.

Keep me posted!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 13 of 24
Message 13 of 24

Hi thanks for the reply.  The reason why the test seamed to work was because the mic sensitivity was high so the 2nd mi  Picked up my voice  The mic test actually fails. I've done a software repair with companion and the problem is the same . Think it needs returning to Sony for fixing under warranty.  I did notice on a different forum that someone fixed the problem by removing a piece of rubber from the mic which had moved. It was said that this was for the making the phone waterproof. 

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 14 of 24
Message 14 of 24

Hi again @Gorgan51 and thank you so much for the update!

You should not have to remove anything from the microphone, unless something is stuck there, for example dirt (be very careful though).

The next step as the software repair did not help, is to have the device examined by a trained technician at an authorized service centre. For further assistance with this and if you have any questions related to the service, please get in touch with your Local support team.

Feel free to keep me updated on how it went!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 15 of 24
Message 15 of 24

Hello

I also have this problem with the main microphone. Just as you describe it.

I assume it is a manufacturing defect on some pieces.
The phone has this defect from first use.

It is a bit of a joke to the customer if he encounters such a defect and no longer has the option to replace the phone.

It is a pity that the last option is to repair a brand new phone in an authorized service but not replace the whole phone ...
I would like to see if the sony company would solve this defect by replacing the phone with a phone, not just repairing it. Because of this repair, the phone must be opened.

LF3
Learner
Message 16 of 24
Message 16 of 24

Hi @Jonas,

I am still having the same problem with yet another XZ1. It seems this model is impossible to fix. I have had 3 repairs of my original phone, switched the sim and am now on my 2nd replacement phone. Same thing every time. I can hear but the person I'm calling can't hear me at intervals. I'm completely sick of it as it's gone on for months.

Further to your post, the accompanying letters all say the same thing. They've repaired the phone. No other explanation. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 17 of 24
Message 17 of 24

Hello again everyone!

@peebee, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

Replacement policies and so on are very different between markets, so I can't answer for how it works in your market, but in the market where I'm situated (The Nordics) the consumer law states that the manufacturer has a limited amount of tries to fix the device by repairing it, before it has to be replaced, instead of being repaired further.

For more information on the consumer laws and service routines in your market, please get in touch with your Local support team as they are the experts on your market and are very well informed about this.

You mention that the device has to be opened and that is correct, but I'm not quite sure what you mean that is has to be opened, as there is no downsides of having a trained technician opening up the device.

@LF3, very sorry to hear that it's the same on your replacement device and I fully understand that you are very frustrated about this.

Since the devices has been repaired each time, it should not be related to either the software or the mobile network and I assume they have changed the microphone in the devices every time (not sure if it says anything about the parts replaced on the service notes).

As I mentioned to @peebee, consumer laws, replacement routines and so forth are very different between markets, so I don't have any information on how the consumer laws works in your market, but you can always check this with your Local support team.

From here there is unfortunately not more I can do and I'm very sorry for that and hopefully you can receive some positive information from the Local support team.

LF3
Learner
Message 18 of 24
Message 18 of 24

Thank you Jonas. I'll let you know the outcome eventually. It seems this particular model must be at fault. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 19 of 24
Message 19 of 24

Thank for you that @LF3 and I really do hope that this can be resolved as soon as possible and in the best possible way.

Apprentice
Message 20 of 24
Message 20 of 24

Hi ...i have just received my phone back from a sony repair centre. Microphone is working fine now. Time will tell if its a permanent fix.