account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone mic not working on xz1 compact

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Phone mic not working on xz1 compact

My mic has stopped working for using my phone to call people or speech to text (like "hello Google").

I can speak to people by switching calls to speakerphone and audio is recorded over videos. I'm guessing there are two mics on this phone and one is dead. 

Is there any known fix or is this a return to seller job as I only bought it last month.

Thanks,

Greg

3 REPLIES
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Phone mic not working on xz1 compact

Hi @GHammy, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

There are two microphones on the device, that is correct. The main microphone is used when you talking on the phone and using services, such as Google Assistant.

The second microphone is one the one used to record sound in videos and gets activated when you turn the loudspeaker on during a call.

There is an inbuilt test in the device for the main microphone and you can find it under Settings > Support > Tests > Microphone. Here you will get to record a short voice message and then you can listen to it in the second step of the test. Is the microphone working in this test?

Let me know how it goes!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Hello, 

I've done the test and the mic didn't work.

What next?

Thanks 

Greg

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Hi again and sorry to hear that there was no change after trying the microphone out in the test. Slightly frowning Face

The next step is to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion to see if this is caused by the software in the device or not. The software repair will delete all data stored on the device though, so it's important that you create a backup using the same program before starting with the actual repair.

Once the repair has finished, start the device up without restoring the backup and do the same test again for the microphone and it works, go ahead and restore the backup.

If the microphone still is not working, it's a defect and your device will need to be examined at an authorized service centre by a trained technician. Your Local support team will assist you further with this as all service cases are handled on a local level, so get in touch with them.

Keep me posted!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.