account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Phone doing random stuff during call

Adept
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Phone doing random stuff during call

During every call I make the phone's screen does turn off, but does register random stuff on the background. It always opens the clock first and then sometimes random things are removed from homescreen or several settings are changed. It also makes quiting a phone call difficult, as I have several other screens opened without my willingness to do so. This is seriously annoying... 

3 REPLIES 3
Emperor
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Phone doing random stuff during call

@Mehmeh 

Does your phone has a protective case, film and/or glass? 

can you test the proximity sensor? 

Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Test

Oreo

Settings > Support > Tests

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Adept
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Hi, Thanks for your reply. 

I do not have any protective film or glass, I do use a gel case around the outer edges and back of the phone. However, removing the gel case doesn't make a difference. Proximity sensor is tested and works fine, the screen also turns black during a call. However, eventhough the screen is

blacked out, it is still doing stuff in the background. It is crazy annoying and I have never experienced this before with my HTC incredible S, Sony Xperia SP nor with my Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 (4.7). This is the most expensive phone that I have owned and also the one with the most bugs and problems. The SP was a bad phone in all aspects, this xz1 compact is a software nightmare...

Wish I still had Oreo Slightly frowning Face

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

@Mehmeh wrote:

this xz1 compact is a software nightmare...

Wish I still had Oreo Slightly frowning Face

I fully agree. XZ1 Compact is a great hardware at a good price point. One of the reasons I bought that phone was that Sony announced Android Pie support. Now it seems their Android Pie release causes seriuous issues for customers. Rolling back to Oreo is not a solution. I would never buy a new phone knowing that I won't get software updates for a couple of years at least.

Well, in case of Sony, it seems we're getting software updates and those updates make the phone way less usable or even rendering basic features void (like NFC or GPS)

It's not Google's mistake with Android Pie, it's Sony's mistake that they can't build a stable Android Pie release for their own devices. And if that's not enough their technical support can't really help you, they just ask you to reinstall and if that doesn't help you can send back your device to Sony for repair if you're lucky to still have your warranty.

I can advise to you and to anybody else, that if a clean reinstall does not solve your problem send back your phone for a repair. Hopefully Sony will realise sooner or later that they will be better off by releasing good quality OS updates than by forcing their customers to send back their phones, not even talking about the reputation of the brand (I don't think I'll ever buy any Sony product again after this).