account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

No fm radio, no double tap to wake / sleep

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 11 of 70
Message 11 of 70

Re: No fm radio, no double tap to wake / sleep

@HerbertJones wrote:

Its only xperia xz1

XZ1 and XZ1 compact - are the same devices (chipset and blah blah blah). Even the builds of software for them is one.

Enthusiast
Message 12 of 70
Message 12 of 70

The Qualcomm 835 SoC Plattform is supporting FM Radio. See whitepaper by qualcomm. Buy maybe Sony has not implemented this. anyway use tunein app.

Enthusiast
Message 13 of 70
Message 13 of 70

"The Qualcomm 835 SoC Plattform is supporting FM Radio"  Is a great news but the worst news is that there is no radio FM native app, only in streaming. Sony should give it a chance to use FM radio.

Enthusiast
Message 14 of 70
Message 14 of 70

@Jonas wrote:

Hello everyone!

I requested some information regarding these features and I have now received more information.

The hardware of Xperia XZ1 Compact does not support FM radio and the tap/double tap to wake feature is not supported in Xperia XZ1 Compact.

The information that @Georgge received at IFA was correct.

Thanks for confirming that? Any idea why Sony decided not to implement FM radio? It's all built in to the chipset and was included on all previous compacts, so it's a bit of surprise it's been ommited.

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 70
Message 15 of 70

Unless you're SONY and looking at usage stats you can't say what percentage of users find these features useful. Tap to wake is gimmiky and the radio app is one of many apps I remove after rooting.

Sage
Message 16 of 70
Message 16 of 70

Tap to wake, or similar function,  is pretty standard on many phones. Now Xperias are on par with Samsung's low tier. Smart move.

The removal of radio FM makes possible to sell Walkmans. Apple teaches.

Inhabitant
Message 17 of 70
Message 17 of 70

I'm not sure the people here complaining are taking into account the practical concerns of supporting these additional features. Besides requiring more code that needs to be updated and vaildated on each new software release, there are hardware considerations as well, like additional power consumption and running a trace for the FM antenna. If just about nobody uses a feature, and you are trying to optimize your design, of course you are going to drop it. Saying they are in collusion with carriers to increase data use or sell more of their own FM radio devices (that one in particular made me chuckle) is ridiculous if nobody is using those features in the first place.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 18 of 70
Message 18 of 70

Hello again everyone.

I'm sorry for the late reply, I have been on vacation!

Regarding the FM radio not being supported, this is because the hardware of the device does not support FM radio.

I will make sure to forward all of your thoughts on double tap to wake not being supported internally as feedback.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 19 of 70
Message 19 of 70

It's not like you say, it's a Sony policy that has decided not to support the FM Radio anymore on the new Sony models.

The Qualcomm 835 SoC Plattform is supporting FM Radio

see you link please :  https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2017/01/03/qualcomm-snapdragon-835-mobile-platform-power-next...

Sony Xperia Support
Message 20 of 70
Message 20 of 70

Hi @roerisigold, I'm afraid that the information I have is the one I wrote earlier in this thread.

"Regarding the FM radio not being supported, this is because the hardware of the device does not support FM radio."

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.