account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Need Sony Help to Enable VoLTE/WiFi Calling on MetroPCS in Android 9

Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Need Sony Help to Enable VoLTE/WiFi Calling on MetroPCS in Android 9

I use my XZ1C on MetroPCS in the USA. MetroPCS is an MVNO on the T-Mobile network. This phone works on T-Mobile with both VoLTE and WiFi Calling enabled. But those features don't work on MetroPCS, even though the MetroPCS network is capable. I investigated this and determined that the proper modem file to enable these features is loaded only for a specific list of SIM config ID's. This list is found in a resource overlay file: /oem/overlay/com.sonymobile.customizationselector-res-305.apk. Within the APK, the file is located at /res/xml/configuration_selectors.xml.

I'm on Oreo, where it's possible to enable user resource overlay files. I created my own copy of com.sonymobile.customizationselector-res-305.apk where I added the MetroPCS SIM config ID (S8957.1) to the list. This led to me being able to use VoLTE and WiFi Calling on MetroPCS. I documented the process here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/volte-wifi-calling-metropcs-probably-t-t388018...

This method works on Oreo, but it won't work on Pie due to resource overlay permission changes Google implemented. So, I'd like to request that Sony add the MetroPCS SIM config ID to the stock resource overlay file I mentioned above. It's one small change that could help me use my phone to the fullest extent. I previously sent this request through Xperia support, but I'm not sure if that actually made it to anyone that can help. Thank you and let me know if you have any questions.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: Need Sony Help to Enable VoLTE/WiFi Calling on MetroPCS in Android 9

Bump. It would be great if this request could be forwarded on.

Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Bump. Could one of the Support mods please look into this?

Emperor
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

@camdecoster 

You have to contact Metro PCs regarding this, you can also contact Sony directly >>> as this is a global user based forum >>> 

https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

I've tried contacting MetroPCS, and have exhausted my options with them. Ultimately, this is a problem that Sony can fix by adding the one line that I referenced in my previous post. I've tried contacting Sony directly too and I hope that they got my message. But I'm trying to go through this channel as well. I know that some Sony employees monitor these forums so I was hoping that they could pass this request along. If the next software release don't include a change, I'll try contacting support again.

Adviser
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Hello, I have the same problem with O2 operator in the Czech Republic. Without support for firmware editing, VoLte and VoWifi will never work :-(

Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

I'm not looking for firmware editing capabilities. I'm just asking Sony to add the sim_config_id for my MVNO in the proper file so that it will work in Pie. It works in Oreo with the workaround I came up with, but that option was removed in Pie, hence why I need the help from Sony. If you're on Oreo, you might be able to use the workaround to get those features to work. If you're interested, send me a message.

Adviser
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Unfortunately, Pie.
Can you please regret Sony for VoLTE SIM configuration for O2 in the Czech Republic? Thank you very much

Emperor
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

@camdecoster 

I'll escalate this but I'm not sure if we'll get an answer or if there are other legal restrictions 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

Thank you for your help.