account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Main camera quality terrible

Apprentice
Message 11 of 67
Message 11 of 67

Re: Main camera quality terrible

No HDR, just straight out the box, launch the camera, auto setting. The quality is the same across the whole frame, very soft and fuzzy looking. Edges of any features within the photos seem particularly bad, no sharpness and there's this graining effect across the whole image. ISO was 80 on the photo in my example so that's definitely not the issue. I've tried to show another section, nearer the centre of the photo - the leaves on the bushes are an absolute mess!

anothersample.jpg

Apprentice
Message 12 of 67
Message 12 of 67

No HRD on my end either (at least not that I can turn off, doesn't seem to be a setting I can find). Even in the middle of the photo, the blurriness looks the same (attached another crop). It really does feel like there's a filter turned on, but there's nothing on this end. Screenshot 2017-10-11 at 1.23.47 PM.png

Inhabitant
Message 13 of 67
Message 13 of 67

Same here.

Nearly perfect conditions at the weekend.

And the result!?
XZ1C-013.JPG

Adviser
Message 14 of 67
Message 14 of 67

The picture look the same than my XZ. Terrible nonsense over-processing algorithm destroy the picture.

Message 15 of 67
Message 15 of 67

@GMxz1 wrote:

No HDR, just straight out the box, launch the camera, auto setting. The quality is the same across the whole frame, very soft and fuzzy looking. Edges of any features within the photos seem particularly bad, no sharpness and there's this graining effect across the whole image. ISO was 80 on the photo in my example so that's definitely not the issue. I've tried to show another section, nearer the centre of the photo - the leaves on the bushes are an absolute mess!

anothersample.jpg

Have you tried manual?

Auto will detect the backlighting and turn on hdr, you may actually see the word backlight in the viewfinder at lower right corner which shows the scene it has detected..

Myself if I was shooting those scenes would go manual, metering set to centre, HDR off, and shoot that way, 

Try that.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 16 of 67
Message 16 of 67

I tried manual mode as well and the photos retain their overprocessed, totally blurry and not sharp appearance. I've tried indoor photos, outdoor photos, close ups, everything, the images all have the same 'fake' look to them. They don't look natural or like photographs, they look as if there's a 'coloured pencil' filter on them or something.

Not impressed at all. As I said in my first post, this was the same I experienced with the M2. It was a midrange phone though, and about 1/5 of the price and 3 years old. For a fairly expensive 2017 compact flagship phone, I would have expected the camera to at least take useable pictures, but so far all I've seen are some very poor quality images.

I bought my phone in Carphone Warehouse (UK) and it's back with them just now to be sent for repair - although I suspect they'll conclude there's nothing wrong with it, even though this sort of quality image just can't be acceptable.

Enthusiast
Message 17 of 67
Message 17 of 67

Why the guys from Sonymobile did not fix these problems for many years, we do not know.

Today i tested XZ1 camera, and it so weakAngry Face

Dark shadows, on images i see friable detail in the form of fine sand, indoor WB so horrible, (green tone) Skull I compared with my 2015 year Lg G4 takes more natural colors with better WB. XZ1 photo looks so unnatural. PS. Why Sony puts this RGB sensor...? Big question Thinking Face

Note 8, Iphone 8, HTC U11 with new Pixel 2, easily destroy XZ1 camera . Sony 2017 motion eye camera - FAIL. 

20171014_121951.jpg16mp auto HDR offDSC_0006.JPG17mp (manual) HDR off20171014_1219511.jpg100% crops

Apprentice
Message 18 of 67
Message 18 of 67

Went to the shop today to have a real life preview. The unit itself was fantastic - snappy, great screen (colours were exceptionally deep for LCD), felt good in the hand.

And the camera... "Terrible" is the right word to describe it. Took a few shots with XZ1C and Z5C, compared side by side and the difference was really noticeable. XZ1C had worse WB, extreme loss of detail (ex. the price tags were blurred beyond readability when taking a shot 1m away) and those slightly curved lines mentioned elsewhere. Even the shop assistant when looking at comparison agreed - yep, that looks bad. I know that Z5C is an averarage performer in terms of camera quality, but compared to this new phone it looked godly.

It's hard to believe that Sony packed the same camera on XZ Premium, because that would have been a ripoff.

Talent
Message 19 of 67
Message 19 of 67

We all know that camera is not the strong point from Sony.

If youre looking to quality pics, than move along...

Commissioner
Message 20 of 67
Message 20 of 67

hi everyone

I've got a z3 compact (and no I'm not posting in the wrong forum).

I was about to get the xz1 compact, as my z3 is knackered (the softkeys have decided to stop working, the battery life has suddenly got much worse, the notification pulldown menu i.e. basically the top of the touchscreen failed about 6 months ago) and am both really disappointed to hear of your news but actually not entirely surprised. You have my complete sympathy. I've repeatedly read the the Sony sensors are decent enough but the end product (i.e. photos) just aren't.

The photo output you're experiencing 'feels' very similar to my experiences with my z3 compact. Heaps of post processing, pixellation (around leaves and stuff like that).

My only suggestion is to try a different photo app, just to check cos Sony are notorious for post-processing crap.

I'm not saying it's the best camera app at all but I've used an app called opencamera for a while. I felt I got better photos out of the phone but at the same time, it didn't cure the pixellation, etc.

A couple of other thoughts - I'd have hoped that the xz1 compact supports RAW files now. Have you tried outputting to them? NOTE: worryingly I've searched for RAW info and it 'seems' that Sony hasn't implemented it. God knows why not. It's been part of Android's Camera2 API since I think lollipop.

Anyway, my point is that if you output to RAW, you'd hopefully see an unadulterated image, so you could better assess whether it's software or hardware.

regards,

Gary