account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Main camera quality terrible

Commissioner
Message 61 of 67
Message 61 of 67

Re: Main camera quality terrible

@sekelsenmat wrote:

hi, I was almost buying xz1c until I read this, can anyone here compare it with xz2c???

Because i found a video that clearly shows the issue, but also shows xz2 and its much better, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJgvbTAHb8Q

If multiple people confirm I could buy xz2. Too bad that many people complain that xz2 has a text selection issue! lol! I thought about going for some other manufacturer but there are only 2 small phones out there AFAIK Sony and iPhone SE. Anyway, I was in a Sony store today and I couldn't properly select text in xz1 (Sony store didn't have xz1c for test, the text would select 1 word, but changing the selection start/end didnt work most of the time, the markers refused to move), but in xz2 it was ok. wierd.

Sorry for the bad typing but I have a baby sleeping in my arms.

i literally cannot process why Sony phone cameras seem so poor (or at least inconsistent).

I also cannot understand how they apparently STILL don't have RAW support. This has been a stumbling block for literally years (i cannot see the reason to NOT implement) and as of this reddit thread, which is only 5 months old, it's STILL not in place:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/comments/8ghvlc/xz2_compact_raw_support_when/

I was always very pleased with the handset size of compacts and the hardware specs. I rejected the xz1 compact though, when it came to getting a new phone, because of poor camera performance and no RAW. I ended up with an S8! Loads bigger/less convenient (sizewise) but screen to handset size is great and the camera is great. Low light performance is astonishingly good.

I liked the OS / software support that Sony provides but their hype still exceeds the actual user experience (at least for me).

Battery life was amazing too (at least on my z3 compact - 2 days compared to your typical 1).

I know it doesn't sound like it but i would have supported and stuck with Sony but the poor camera performance was a deal breaker Slightly frowning Face

Talent
Message 62 of 67
Message 62 of 67

You could 'upgrade' to Z5 compact which has the best camera still... 

Though its lacking high framerate and 3D / HDR gimmicks..  

And the last OS available is 7.1.1 ..

BUT the camera and build quality is excellent AND you get a mini jack!! 

Message 63 of 67
Message 63 of 67

@MartinK wrote:

You could 'upgrade' to Z5 compact which has the best camera still... 

Though its lacking high framerate and 3D / HDR gimmicks..  

And the last OS available is 7.1.1 ..

BUT the camera and build quality is excellent AND you get a mini jack!! 

Z5 series was one of my favourites, and the camera definitely was one of the reasons why..

However, the newer cameras definitely beat the Z5 IMO, especially motion eye based ones, the X and XZ I rated just below Z5, but from XZ Premium Ive loved the cameras.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Visitor
Message 64 of 67
Message 64 of 67

Just gor myself a XZ1 compact and I agree the photo quality is not as good as that of my dedicated photocamera, which is 3 times as expensive... But it is very acceptable nevertheless. Photo's in daylight come out pretty crisp and clean, with good colours and contrast. I just use my phone for snapshots and not for pixel peeping so especially for the use on small screens and social media the quality is really fine, if not superb. Maybe other phones offer better pixel peeping experience Slightly smiling Face but I doubt if you see any difference by looking at the complete photo's.

What I like about the XZ1c camera is that it is pretty fast and has a shutter button on the side of the phone. Also the wide angle (25mm) is nice for shooting buildings and interiors. Video stabilization and sound are very good so shooting video's is a pleasure. But again, it still looks inferior to the recordings made by my dedicated videocamera when you play back on a big screen.

Commissioner
Message 65 of 67
Message 65 of 67

@Hassebas wrote:

Just gor myself a XZ1 compact and I agree the photo quality is not as good as that of my dedicated photocamera, which is 3 times as expensive... But it is very acceptable nevertheless. Photo's in daylight come out pretty crisp and clean, with good colours and contrast. I just use my phone for snapshots and not for pixel peeping so especially for the use on small screens and social media the quality is really fine, if not superb. Maybe other phones offer better pixel peeping experience Slightly smiling Face but I doubt if you see any difference by looking at the complete photo's.

What I like about the XZ1c camera is that it is pretty fast and has a shutter button on the side of the phone. Also the wide angle (25mm) is nice for shooting buildings and interiors. Video stabilization and sound are very good so shooting video's is a pleasure. But again, it still looks inferior to the recordings made by my dedicated videocamera when you play back on a big screen.

i understand low light camera performance on XZ1c is poor?

My S8 is amazingly good in low light. The number of times a flash hasn't triggered and I've got extremely decent photos out of it is fantastic. I've a keen amateur photographer friend who was intrigued and impressed too with the S8 low light performance.

Having said this, I've found the S8 low light video performance to be very poor. One thread I found on the matter suggested:

- Set to FHD or higher
- Dont use 60fps
- Disable stabilisation

I didn't find it helped.

Video is fine IMO in normal (even artificial/indoor) lighting conditions.

Visitor
Message 66 of 67
Message 66 of 67

I installed Open Camera and CameraMX to compare with the original Sony camera app. Using those third party apps results in MUCH better sharpness and the blurring of details is completely gone. Only better in daylight however, in low light the photo's get very noisy. I guess those apps don't use any noise reduction at all. Still the differences are only visible once you zoom in to the photo's. 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 67 of 67
Message 67 of 67

And i think i know why their phones take bad photos. 
I belive the reason is that if they made best photos, other manufactures would make their own camera sensors. And so making their phones take photos they can sell those good camera sensors to others and get more profit then selling their own product. As you all know sony sensors are used in Iphone, Samsung, Xiaomi, LG and others their are few exceptions like ISOCELL from Samsung on some versions. That's why they refused to answer on one intereview about their camera taking bad photos on some interview. They said something like they compress it so that it takes less space. Well Pixel and OnePlus have sony sensors also. So it's a matter of software and lens and image processing. They used plastic lenses till Z5 series, and camera lens playes big rule in image captureing