account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Main camera quality terrible

One time poster
Message 51 of 67
Message 51 of 67

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

Personally what I found is that iot's mostly a software, and not an hardware issue. Sony's camera app is pretty bad. Using the camera app inside the adobe Lightroom app has made all my pictures a LOT better. The only problem is you can't set that app to use the camera button on the phone =/

Talent
Message 52 of 67
Message 52 of 67

Can you upload the same photo taken with the stock app and with the Lightroom app?

One time poster
Message 53 of 67
Message 53 of 67

The camera quality is very bad, but it's software correctable. I use Bacon Camera app and it is the only app I've found to actually increase image quality - noticeably better than Lightroom as well. The caveat is that Bacon camera only supports auto shooting and no hdr on the compact. On my previous redmi note 4 snapdragon version it supported both excellent hdr and full manual controls.

So try the app and go through all settings. Im sure that aside from the caveats you will be pleased. There's also a small improvement in low light but far from a miracle.

Apprentice
Message 54 of 67
Message 54 of 67

Hi there, I also have an xperia XZ1 Compact and imI a long and proud sony customer.

But in the last few years I felt like being left alone with my problems, with the camera app and quality.

There has been the issue with overly bad processed images over the past few years, that hasn't been addressed and became worse and worse from generation to generation. 

Coming to a point where I can say that my old Xperia S made better pictures then my new Xperia XZ, and where all of my sony friends and even my mother switched from Sony to other brands with less camera related issues. (And boy do they mock me with their "better photos")

I rentured my Xperia XZ in January and bought the new Xperia XZ1 Compact, hearing that all camera even more importantly the overheating issues were resolved...

Though I can say that the overheating isn't an issue at all now and that the camera lenses and sensor is much better than before, I still feel like having a low end 100€ China phone, like my brother, when it comes to photos.

Processing and sharpness

Photos come at a great resolution, but with very low to no details even in perfect lightning conditions, due to this Overly aggressive noise reduction and Sharpening filter, that kills all the details even in below 100 ISO.

Colors and White Balancing

And even worse when comparing more difficult lighting. One by one with the galaxy S8 there is a crippled dynamic range, and even when turning HDR on, on the Sony phone, it won't even come near to the clarity, color accuracy and dynamic range of the S8.

Every time I or a friend contacted Sony customer support, there was just the response: look at these tipps or send in your device for repair.

Can a mod maybe tell us if there are any existing plans on changing and improving the algorithms used in software or at least enable RAW support to get a raw image to at least make great images at the computer afterwards? That would be a great help.

Commissioner
Message 55 of 67
Message 55 of 67

@Danir_Tomawrote:

Hi there, I also have an xperia XZ1 Compact and imI a long and proud sony customer.

But in the last few years I felt like being left alone with my problems, with the camera app and quality.

There has been the issue with overly bad processed images over the past few years, that hasn't been addressed and became worse and worse from generation to generation. 

Coming to a point where I can say that my old Xperia S made better pictures then my new Xperia XZ, and where all of my sony friends and even my mother switched from Sony to other brands with less camera related issues. (And boy do they mock me with their "better photos")

I rentured my Xperia XZ in January and bought the new Xperia XZ1 Compact, hearing that all camera even more importantly the overheating issues were resolved...

Though I can say that the overheating isn't an issue at all now and that the camera lenses and sensor is much better than before, I still feel like having a low end 100€ China phone, like my brother, when it comes to photos.

Processing and sharpness

Photos come at a great resolution, but with very low to no details even in perfect lightning conditions, due to this Overly aggressive noise reduction and Sharpening filter, that kills all the details even in below 100 ISO.

Colors and White Balancing

And even worse when comparing more difficult lighting. One by one with the galaxy S8 there is a crippled dynamic range, and even when turning HDR on, on the Sony phone, it won't even come near to the clarity, color accuracy and dynamic range of the S8.

Every time I or a friend contacted Sony customer support, there was just the response: look at these tipps or send in your device for repair.

Can a mod maybe tell us if there are any existing plans on changing and improving the algorithms used in software or at least enable RAW support to get a raw image to at least make great images at the computer afterwards? That would be a great help.

@Danir_Toma

good post mate.

I had a z3 compact and the camera performance was very inconsistent on that. Sony again being good at telling people how good stuff is then not delivering. The best part of the z3 was actually the OS builds on it. I can remember Sony actually fixing the ludicrous problems that vanilla lollipop brought to the system audio/volume control (the removal of silent mode, etc).

Anyway, I'd been holding out for a new sony compact, so was over the moon, with my z3 dying, to see the xz1 compact released. However, with reports on here that the camera performance was flaky I ended up getting an S8.

There're still detail issues IMO with the S8 (when you zoom in closely) but camera is vastly more point and click than the Sony. Low light performance is just amazing on it too (honestly). It's the pixelation (e.g. on leaves of trees) which was so poor on my Z3 (even in bright light). It tended to look washed out too. HDR looks particuarly vibrant in bright light (with of course some shade for contrast) on the S8 and of course we have full android camera 2 API functionality, which, as you say, Sony has STILL not implemented. Simply unbelievable (after all this time).

Fingers crossed that Sony actually stop letting their customers down.

Regards,

Gary

Visitor
Message 56 of 67
Message 56 of 67

After 2 1/2 years and another fall on the ground the screen of my beloved Xperia Z5 compact split and the phone was inaccessible. I did not want to buy a new phone, because I LOVED the photos the Z5 took and it was still working well enough to not be replaced. Well, my clumsiness made it break and I ordered the Xperia XZ1 compact expecting the same photo quality or even better. First I thought I have a faulty model of the ZX1 looking at the distorted photos, but now I am reading this thread and I am seriously thinking about returning the phone and getting another model, most likely brand. Even thinking about buying the Z5 compact again. I just can't believe this issue has been out there for so long and nothing's been fixed. I truly believe that the phone has all the hardware it needs, so why was it until now not possible to fix this issue with a system update? I will try a third-party photo app and see what that can fix, but I am just very upset about this purchase. (Also, sorry, off-topic and certainly somewhere discussed, I can't believe the tap-to-wake feature is gone as well. This phone has been a true disappointment so far). 

Commissioner
Message 57 of 67
Message 57 of 67

May not help but do ensure you have all the latest Sony software updates installed. 

Talent
Message 58 of 67
Message 58 of 67

There is correctiont for image distortion option in camera options when you scroll down. As "Damo_" said you must have the phone updated to one of the latest builds, because the option wasnt available at launch. But i believe it was added around december/ january if i remember corectly.. so any of the last 3,4 months of updates and you should have the option.

I do have a friend with a Z5 who is very proud of his camera performance and he says that my xz1c just takes better pictures across the board.

Learner
Message 59 of 67
Message 59 of 67

Re: Main camera quality terrible

Maybe you have a different sensor installed.

Can you, please, post here the camera sensor information?

P.S.: personally, I use the app Device Info HW for such things... you can use whatever you want.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 60 of 67
Message 60 of 67

Re: Main camera quality terrible

hi, I was almost buying xz1c until I read this, can anyone here compare it with xz2c???

Because i found a video that clearly shows the issue, but also shows xz2 and its much better, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJgvbTAHb8Q

If multiple people confirm I could buy xz2. Too bad that many people complain that xz2 has a text selection issue! lol! I thought about going for some other manufacturer but there are only 2 small phones out there AFAIK Sony and iPhone SE. Anyway, I was in a Sony store today and I couldn't properly select text in xz1 (Sony store didn't have xz1c for test, the text would select 1 word, but changing the selection start/end didnt work most of the time, the markers refused to move), but in xz2 it was ok. wierd.

Sorry for the bad typing but I have a baby sleeping in my arms.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.