account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Main camera quality terrible

Commissioner
Message 21 of 67
Message 21 of 67

Re: Main camera quality terrible

talking of camera issues on the xz1 compact, here's an interesting / saddening thread from XDA:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xz1-compact/how-to/xzp-camera-distortion-sadly-xz1-compact-t...

There's a thread on this forum about this too - doesn't sound good, as one post suggests this is an issue that has been around since the xz premium (https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ1-Compact/Distorion-on-back-camera/td-p/1265604)

The XDA thread has a post in it where there is an anecdotal report that this distortion is a hardware issue (i.e. can't be fixed by software). Hmmmmm.

I'm desperate now for a new phone (i can literally only change apps by restarting the phone - only way to get at my apps Slightly frowning Face )

Apprentice
Message 22 of 67
Message 22 of 67

The sad part of this story that someone from Sony's HQ will eventually look into why XZ1C is selling so poorly and deduce that people do not want small phones anymore. The compact line will then be scrapped entirely.

Adviser
Message 23 of 67
Message 23 of 67

@MyAliasIsGary

If this would be true, so this can not be fixed, why is it possible if you go and activate "steadyshot" in record mode (video) you get no distortion anymore?

(I know not the full sensor is used if activated, but still there is a fix or at least workaroung.)

Highlighted
Talent
Message 24 of 67
Message 24 of 67

Obviously it's a device flaw. No way a Sony could take a photo that bad and it's not about the settings or plastic cap or anything else. Normally the service should replace it. Bad situation anyway.

Commissioner
Message 25 of 67
Message 25 of 67

@Caisha wrote:

The sad part of this story that someone from Sony's HQ will eventually look into why XZ1C is selling so poorly and deduce that people do not want small phones anymore. The compact line will then be scrapped entirely.

You could just see that happening, couldn't you.

However, I'd have thought they'd be aware of reasons for returns and/or repairs, so can monitor reliability etc like that?

Commissioner
Message 26 of 67
Message 26 of 67

@enthilzar wrote:

@MyAliasIsGary

If this would be true, so this can not be fixed, why is it possible if you go and activate "steadyshot" in record mode (video) you get no distortion anymore?

(I know not the full sensor is used if activated, but still there is a fix or at least workaroung.)

fair comment - please note I said "The XDA thread has a post in it"

I've seen a good few comments about being able to deal with the distortion issue in video mode. I agree that sounds like a software work-round.

Commissioner
Message 27 of 67
Message 27 of 67

@ghencea-RO wrote:

Obviously it's a device flaw. No way a Sony could take a photo that bad and it's not about the settings or plastic cap or anything else. Normally the service should replace it. Bad situation anyway.

I wonder whether this is why Sony haven't implemented RAW functionality too? If one saw Sony handset photo quality without post processing, people would freak out. I'm not saying no other handset manufacturers use post-processing but I don't hear 3rd parties talking about how good Sony phone photos are. I hear about Google (or whoever builds their phones), Samsung, HTC, etc.

One time poster
Message 28 of 67
Message 28 of 67

I was disappointed with xperia's camera!

Sony‘s camera image so bad, why not consider using Google or other algorithms?

Talent
Message 29 of 67
Message 29 of 67

Re: I was disappointed with xperia's camera!

Welcome to the club Slightly smiling Face

Adviser
Message 30 of 67
Message 30 of 67

Re: I was disappointed with xperia's camera!

Hey guys check this post in the XZ Premium forum: https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ-Premium/XZP-camera-has-serious-distortion-issue/m-p/1271268...

I tried to announce this as a seperate post on this forum as it's great news for us XZ1 compact owners, but unfortunately an overzealous mod decided I was cross/double-posting so it was removed.