account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Home Screen frozen after wakeup (since Android 9)

Learner
Message 1 of 18
Message 1 of 18

Home Screen frozen after wakeup (since Android 9)

So far i was very happy with Sony and my XZ1c, BUT then...

Some days ago i updated to Android 9 (and 2 further updates afterwards).

Since then i have an issue. If I wakeup the device with power button, quite often (not always) the home screen is frozen, means the time (widget) on home screen is wrong (small clock in status above is correct) and i can't wish left or right. I have to start an app or the click the app button and go back and now the home screen is normal again.

All this issue is only if the Lock Screen is deactivated! With activated lock screen i couldn't observe it so far.

I contacted Sony Support (per Mail) and now i'm very disapointed and frustrated!

I had to repair my phone 2 times (2nd time i had to verify this issue in a very fresh OS) and now i have to send my phone to them, because the error disapeared :-(

I think this is a software issue and Sony should provide a bugfix without taking my phone.

Please could someone try to reproduce this issue.

Just deactivate Lock screen, wait until phone sleeps and some minutes longer and wakeup. This has to be done just some times.

Thank you!

ps.: I used the search, but i didn't find this issue already (but a lot other Android 9 issues). If it is already existing here please give me a link!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Message 2 of 18

Re: Home Screen froozen after wakeup (since Android 9)

I have a XZ1, and I have had the exact same issue since the upgrade to Pie.  I have seen a few posts from others with the XZ1, XZ1 compact, and XZ Premium describe having the same problem.  I have my phone set to not lock it self until five minutes of not being used.  So if the screen is on, and every thing is working and I turn the screen off, then back on again, sometimes everything will stop responding.  The clock at the top of the screen will continue to update but the clock and weather widgets on the screen will not update, and I am not able to swipe right or left.  Oddly, the interactive background continues to respond.  Opening an app brings everything back to normal.  If I happen to try all of this with an app already open, the app turns black.  I have to exit the app to return to normal functionality.  

Learner
Message 3 of 18
Message 3 of 18

Re: Home Screen frozen after wakeup (since Android 9)

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, you are describing the same issue.
So far i didn't observed the issue with an app open. But i tried a bit and also this i was able to reproduce quite easy.
In my case the app didn't react correct like the home screen, but was vissible (not black). Maybe the behavior depends on the app.
Did you find a solution to fix this issue (except using lock screen)? Did you send your phone to Sony?
Where have you seen the other posts?

Thx!
Jens

Message 4 of 18
Message 4 of 18

I have not found a solution.  I have not sent my phone back to sony.  

I have seen several posts, but the two that stick in my head are these:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ1/XZ1-47-2-A-45-Latest-update-problems/m-p/1363771#M6030

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ-Premium/Phone-won-t-swipe-between-home-screens/m-p/1363607#...

The second link actually has a youtube video showing the problem.  I have yet to see sony actually respond to any of the posts mentioning the problem.

Learner
Message 5 of 18
Message 5 of 18

Update 47.2.A.10.28 doesn't fix this issue! :-(

Visitor
Message 6 of 18
Message 6 of 18

Hello from Germany,

I can confirm I have the exact same issue since Android 9 with my Xperia xz1 compact.

I normally have no lockscreen options set. So when I wakeup the Phone, it sometimes kind of 'locks' the screen. Widgets do not respond, I cannot switch home screens. The time on the status bar remains correct. If I then click on an app and go back, everythning behaves normally

So I'm quite sure this must be a software issue, as other people have this problem to.

My workaround for now is to have a lockscreen option aktive. But I would rather have not, for conveniance.

I tested this also with safe mode and complete factory reset of the phone. The 'bug' is still there.

kind regards,

Learner
Message 7 of 18
Message 7 of 18

Update 47.2.A.10.45 doesn't fix this issue! :-(

Highlighted
Learner
Message 8 of 18
Message 8 of 18

Same issue here, will it ever be patched? I don't have the patience to constantly chase their support team for a fix. Hopefully the next android version for XZ1 won't have this issue.

I believe it's mainly caused by not having a lock screen, the screen doesn't refresh without it for whatever reason 

Adept
Message 9 of 18
Message 9 of 18

+1

Visitor
Message 10 of 18
Message 10 of 18

It's frustrating that some apps freeze on the XZ1 C as soon as we do not use a screen lock.

Navis like Osmand or MagicEarth can not be used .
Audio continues with display off, but as soon as the display is turned on, the app freeze.
Only -with- screen lock the apps are working. However, I always have to enter pin or use fingerprint sensor, or smart lock.
This often does not work when cycling and is dangerous when cardriving.

This happens since Android 9. On Android 8, the lockscreen did not need to be active.

So the problem is not Osmand and MagicEarth.
It is a Sony 9 bug with Android 9.

bye,

Ralf