account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Group Messaging Option in Android Messaging App missing

Rookie
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Group Messaging Option in Android Messaging App missing

In the Messages app group texts are sent as mass individual texts rather than group MMS. The option is missing when I try to enable it in Settings > Advanced.

The issue isn't with my carrier since my previous phone with the same SIM is able to send group MMS. It also isn't with with the phone hardware itself since I can use other messaging apps to send group MMS.

This leads me to believe the problem is with the Android Messages app itself. I've already tried to clear the cache and data and disable/enable the app. Since the app comes with the phone, I can't completly uninstall it and reinstall it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to fix this? I rather continue using this messiging app rather than switching to a third party messaging app.

Below is what I see when i access the advance settings of Android Messages.XZ1.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Group Messaging Option in Android Messaging App missing

@Tanoke Android Messages app is made by Google, so Sony can't do anything about it. you could try sending an email about the issue to the address listed on Android Messages' Play Store entry.

One time poster
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

My wife has a Z5 compact that has the same issue.

Obviously the Android messages app is made by Google, but this missing option to send MMS in group messages send to be common for Xperia phones.

Pioneer
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Hi, what is your carrier/operator and firmware version?

I vaguely remember seeing some configuration variables in Sony carrier customization APKs that were configuring group messaging options.

Update: Yup, it's there, in carrier config:

$ aapt d xmltree com.android.carrierconfig-res-310-306.apk res/xml/vendor.xml
    E: boolean (line=10)
      A: name="enableGroupMms" (Raw: "enableGroupMms")
      A: value=(type 0x12)0x0 (Raw: "false")
    E: boolean (line=18)
      A: name="groupChatDefaultsToMMS" (Raw: "groupChatDefaultsToMMS")
      A: value=(type 0x12)0x0 (Raw: "false")

So if you have an overlay package loaded that has enableGroupMms override to false, then option most likely will disappear, since by default it is on, or, alternatively, if you see enableGroupMms disabled in one of the android config files for your carrier, that is part of the OS now.

Here's the repository for all configuration settings - CarrierConfig assets in android-8.0.0_r36. Your carrier configuration should be in carrier_config_${MCC}${MNC}.xml, where MCC is the country code and MNC is the network code of the carrier.

No longer using XZ1C
Rookie
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

So how do I use this info to enable the group txt option? 

Thanks

Rookie
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

Hey thanks for responding and sorry for the late reply.

My carrier is T-Mobile
Model is G8441
Build Number is 47.1.A.8.49

So how would one go aboult implmenting this solution. It sound like it would involve rooting the device. Is there a way to esclate this to Sony so they can implment a fix?

Thanks,

One time poster
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

How would one go about editing that?
I have an XZ1 Compact International.

I am on Cricket Wireless and I believe that there is something wrong with the Carrier Config it is grabbing.  Cricket hasn't been much help.

Group MMS is not on my menu to be enabled.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Learner
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

I've been having this same issue now through 3 factory resets.  I'm on Straight Talk.  I have to use Facebook Messenger to get group texts to work, which is silly.

One time poster
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Hi there,

Did you ever get the group messaging fixed?  Thru Sony, Android or T-mobile?

Thanks in advance!  

One time poster
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Hi...I just switched to using older Sony Xperia "compact" models, and found this issue. Seems to still be a problem on my fully updated Z5 Compact E5823 running 7.1.1.

The fun doesn't seem end there.  A Z3 Compact (D5803) I just added as a spare seems to have the same problem on 4.4.4.  And it stopped getting LTE, now stuck on EDGE after a "settings push".  And...it won't get *any* update even though it's officially supported and Sony should have pushes for Android 5 & 6. (Yes, I like small phones!)

Both are unlocked Sony OEM phones on T-Mobile in the Chicagoland market.

Never seen this much trouble on my old Moto Gs.  And here I thought I was upgrading to make my life easier! Slightly smiling Face