account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

GPS problems

Learner
Message 11 of 21
Message 11 of 21

Re: GPS problems

I have done some research and found out that this looks to be a strange HW issue.
I installed GPSLocker to look for signal strengts and found out an interesintg thing.
If you are holding you finger on the side where SD card is located - about 1.5cm from top, you get almost instant increase in signal strengt from 25-50%., when I release my finger - it drops. I'm able to repeat this all the time. Can someone else try this ?
It's like the "death grip" for iPhones, just this time it's a GPS grip for Xperia Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 12 of 21
Message 12 of 21

Can't confirm.

I've been trying this multiple times in GPS-only mode.

No such behavior.

App -> GPS-Status

Learner
Message 13 of 21
Message 13 of 21

I made a short video how it looks for me: Video

One time poster
Message 14 of 21
Message 14 of 21

I just got my xz1 compact less than a week ago and already stumbled upon the GPS problem while driving. My experience was similar to a previous poster here where I was traveling thru the lower level of George Washington bridge from New York to New Jersey and lost the gps signal coming off the bridge. I use Android auto and switched from Waze to Google maps but neither app couldn't get a GPS location fix. I had to restart the phone to get it fixed. 

I had pixel running Oreo before the Sony and not once I had this issue driving thru the same bridge and so many other bridges/tunnels. So this problem is specific to Sony. 

To me this is a serious issue. GPS stops working while you driving is a deal breaker for me. I bought xz1 because I like small phones but xz1 is going back and going to grab the pixel2 if Sony is not fixing this issue/acknowledging this problem. 

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 21
Message 15 of 21

Hello from a fellow Ingress Player!

I had issues with GPS drift and it was fixed after i turned off Wifi and Bluetooth scanning. Comapared to the previous phones i have had, the screen size is perfect for glyphing

Commissioner
Message 16 of 21
Message 16 of 21

What setting option is that exactly? 

Greetings,

SirRobin
Commissioner
Message 17 of 21
Message 17 of 21

Settings -  Google - Location - Scanning

You can disable both options and see if it makes a difference for you.

Commissioner
Message 18 of 21
Message 18 of 21

So what is a good value for gpx fix outside? I´m not sure but i think my device needs a lot of time for that. even in pokemon go i´ll sometimes get the message "no gps found" so maybe it´s a problem with my device itself?

Greetings,

SirRobin
Visitor
Message 19 of 21
Message 19 of 21

Yes I am experiencing the same issue. I did a factory reset on my phone ~1 month ago. This did take care of the issue for a while but it eventually returns. I have tried the *#*#7378423#*#* purge assistance data and this does not help the issue at all. This phone use to work flawlessly with no issues.

Visitor
Message 20 of 21
Message 20 of 21

I tried doing this and no improvements.