account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Format SD card as internal?

Rookie
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Format SD card as internal?

I can't seem to format my SD card as internal storage, why is this?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Format SD card as internal?

If I recall correctly, sony has disabled this feature on all their Android phones for versions of Android that would normally support it.

Rookie
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Have they provided a reason why? Seems like a strange thing to do.

Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

@Pokepunchformatting SD card as internal storage on Android results in several problems that for some probably outweigh the benefits:

1. slower performance - SD cards have lower read and write speeds than the phone's internal storage. an app installed on an SD card is going to launch and load data slower than when installed on internal storage

2. losing portability - you can't eject the card and insert it to another device, for example laptop and read the data

3. (result of point 2) possible permanent data loss - let's say someone has to send their phone to Sony for a repair. they don't make a backup of their recorded pictures and videos because they think that they're stored in the SD card, so they can just eject the card and insert it again when the phone gets back to them. when the phone arrives back it turns out that it has been replaced with another handset - it's now impossible for the user to get back their data stored on the card, as it's been encrypted and the card can't be read without formatting it first.

Rookie
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

The option shouldn't be disabled though, it should the users choice if they which to use the feature.

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

I agree - they should let users decide if they want to use the feature or not.

Having it initially disabled would be fine, and maybe only accessible in the Developer Settings; that would go far to making sure that people would REALLY want to use it. :-)

One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

+1

Currently it's also not allowed to move downloaded maps for here wego to the sd card, which is really more on the negative side. To have only 32mb memory is okay for me, but only if I can use the sd card.

And that was possible with the z5 compact I had before. That makes it particularly difficult for me to accept this weakness. Such a beatifull small power bar and then this... 

Please Sony, do your customers a juge favor... 

Learner
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Is this also the reason why some apps can't use the SD card? Two of them I noticed were Spotify and Player.fm.

Spotify typically has a storage option, but it doesn't show up.

Player.fm sees the SD card, but gets an "App doesn't have permission to use this folder." error.

Edit: It looks like even Audible can't see the SD card.