account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

External display via Snapdragon 835 built-in USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode function

Sony Xperia Support
Message 11 of 27
Message 11 of 27

Re: [Feature request] USB-C DisplayPort alt mode to connect to a TV wired

Hi Everyone,

Xperia devices do not support DisplayPort Alt Mode. This is by design.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 12 of 27
Message 12 of 27

Dear Emir,

Can you further explain this "Design Choice"? I do not fully understand how it would benefit any form of design to disable an already available functionality which should have no influence on looks or performance.

I was hoping on using this device with some external hardware as a mobile workstation, external hardware of which a larger external monitor, connected via any conventional and easily available connection, would be an important component. 

Is there a possibility that this design choice will be revised and the functionality of DisplayPort alt mode is added as a feature in the furture?

With kind regards,

Sako Arts

Pioneer
Message 13 of 27
Message 13 of 27

@Emir wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Xperia devices do not support DisplayPort Alt Mode. This is by design.

@Emir

We all know that it's not a bug. That's why I tagged the topic (merged with the current one) as 'Feature request'. So how to connect to an external display now by this new design? Wireless methods don't provide acceptable picture quality.

Learner
Message 14 of 27
Message 14 of 27

Dear Sony, I am also interested at least why this was the choice - could you explain?

Ideally, please accept this feature request to include in some future updates. This is not technically a new feature to develop, it is just to remove the blocker of the existing functionality,I don't see why you wouldn't do that.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 15 of 27
Message 15 of 27

Hi Everyone, I am sorry to say that I do not have any specific information as to why certain decisions were made during the software design process - I only have the information which I posted above as of right now. Slightly frowning Face However, please note that your concerns and feedback have been forwarded internally!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 16 of 27
Message 16 of 27

Could we be allowed to know whether this is a limitation through a hardware or software design choice? I too would very much like to have this feature and frankly expected it to be there. If it is only a limitation through software, we can hope for a patch later on through official or 3rd party channels. If it's through hardware, we can close this discussion with "can not be implemented" for current hardware.

Apprentice
Message 17 of 27
Message 17 of 27

Re: External display via Snapdragon 835 built-in USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode function

XZ1c only supports USB 2.0 protocol despite having Type-C port, so it can't handle that amount of data.

One time poster
Message 18 of 27
Message 18 of 27

Re: External display via Snapdragon 835 built-in USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode function

So my very expensive Sony HMZ-TW3 used for traveling is now worthless with a new Sony Xperia smartphone as the new ones don't support MHL cable. Does that sound reasonable to you Sony just to save a buck?? Utterly disappointed to say the least..  

Message 19 of 27
Message 19 of 27

My Question is, does the xperia xz1 compact support Displaylinkadapters? 

I mean Adapters with Displaylinktechnologie? 

One time poster
Message 20 of 27
Message 20 of 27

Any updates on this? It's a feature that would make my life complete!